Friday, September 26, 2008

The Great Deluge of 2008...and a Weird Day's End

Today started at six. I woke up to leave the house at 6:30, but at 6:28 a HUGE storm started. The thunder and lighting were very loud and bright, and the rain was outrageous. It did not stop or let up for a long time. I decided to study my finance at home until it let up...which it didn't, but finally I left at 7.

I got on the MRT, and all was normal, until the train stopped for no reason. This does not happen in Singapore, as you may remember. It took 1.5 hours to get to my school stop (which is usually only 40 minutes on the train). The stops were crammed with people, and everyone was late for work. It was bad, and it was still pouring.

I finally arrived at school at 9:15, and I had a solid hour and a half before I had to talk to an administrator about a program we were running today. More than nothing, but not great compared to the THREE hours I had planned.

We had stats this morning, and then we had our first INDEVOR (I will post about this later) club activity - which was this amazing man, Dr. Ashok Khosla, who came to INSEAD to tell us about the importance of sustainable development and what's happening to our ecosystems. He was so inspiring, and he had so many wonderful ideas. I have so much to learn from him - I wish I had more opportunity. I really enjoyed his talk.

Then accounting, then econ. Then group work until 9. Then I went to the ex-pat grocery store to get stuff to make a cake for my friend's birthday lunch tomorrow.

Well. I arrived at City Hall MRT (where the grocery store is), and there were so many people. The lady of the MRT (I call her Rosemary) - you know, the one who says, "please mind the platform gap"? She was saying, "the station is crowded. If you are not taking a train, please exit the station. The station is crowded. If..." I didn't know that was in her repertoire.

I was just thinking, "please get out of my way. PLEASE GET OUT OF MY WAY! I'm tired. I am sick of finance. I want to do my shopping and go home and eat dinner. It's almost 10 pm. Please!"

I did my shopping. I went back upstairs, and as I got to the MRT entrance, I heard, "vroom. Vroom. VRRRRROOOOOOm." My first thought is, "it's the F1 in Singapore this weekend. They're probably playing those sounds in the mall - because they would do that here." My second thought was, "Maybe this is the first F1 night race practice that I read about in the paper, but it's not HERE. I'm in a mall." Then I looked out the window, and there it was! The track is just outside the MRT, and I could see and definitely hear the cars going by right next to me.

I must say that I think that racing cars is dangerous for no reason, not friendly to the environment and just generally useless and pointless, but I did get excited a bit, because there were so many people there who were happy, and it must be good for the Singapore economy, right?

Anyways - a weird beginning and a weird end.

AND, Matt came home from Hong Kong today. Yay. I'm much happier with him around.

No comments: