Sunday, September 7, 2008

Weird Things about this Weekend

So there were a few weird things this weekend.

I went to a movie that is part of an Israeli Film Festival. Here in Singapore. Yup. That's weird.

I went to the movie with four other people. There were five in total (I'm sure your math is good...). FOUR of us were wearing black t shirts and jeans. That's a very high, unlikely percentage.

I got my third pedicure ever on Saturday. It was wonderful. The lady who was taking all of the disgusting dead skin off of my feet was talking to the lady next to me in Chinese. It seemed like they were talking about me, so I smiled at the lady next to me. She said, "she said you must wear shoes everyday, because my feet are much worse than yours." Hm. Wear shoes as opposed to WHAT? I then realized that it was wear shoes as opposed to wear sandals - which was correct until I started school one month ago. I wore shoes everyday. I have white, ex-pat, prissy feet.

I used to run into people in Ann Arbor ALL the time. People hated walking across the diag with me, because I couldn't make it across! Broadway was the same. Walk me on Broadway - any time any day, and I will run into someone. Not true in Singapore. I have probably run into five people in Singapore - and two of those occasions were the same guy. This weekend I ran into TWO people at really unlikely places. One was a woman whom we went on a dive trip with a few months ago. She was working out at a gym that was next to the bar I went to on Friday night. The other was Matt's co-worker, and this was standing in line for fishball noodles on Saturday afternoon at the same hawker stall.

Finally - this isn't weird - I wanted to share some super cute things. Tonight I ran a program for families in the UHC community here. It was on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. I won't go into why, but each family was asked to bring a fruit that has some significance for their family and tell us why they brought it.

1) I brought an apple, because when you bite into it, it's sweet, like my family. (Adina, Jer - doesn't this remind you of a joke you once heard - in 1984 or so?)

2) I brought a star fruit, because it has five points, and we have five people in our family, and when you cut it, it's pretty.

3) I brought a banana, because when you peel it, it's really sweet and wonderful inside, but first you have to peel it to get there, like our family.

There were others, but I especially liked those.

No comments: