Wednesday, September 17, 2008

No Cheat Lie One

Aunt Phyllis is right. I didn't tell the story about the taxi driver.

So the other night I was on my way home from school, and I asked the taxi driver where his favorite food is in Singapore. He told me he loved the crab in Geylang. I asked if it was near the side of Geylang with the prostitutes or the other. He assured me that there were prostitutes all over Geylang. I then asked about the prostitutes in Little India, since I haven't seen them yet. He said they're for "old man."

He said all men cheat on their wives. "No cheat lie one." i.e. If he tells you he doesn't cheat, he's lying. I said, "really? you think EVERYONE cheats on their wives?" He assured me that certainly everyone does. I said, "I think it might be more accepted in Asia than it is in the US." While I do believe that many men in the US cheat, it's harder to find people to cheat with, and it's definitely not socially acceptable. Here it's not exactly accepted either, but it sort of is.

Anyways - I said, "I'm pretty sure my husband doesn't cheat on me." He said "Tonight. Spot Check." Spot check? Spot check...what? I asked him to explain. "Check his bullets." His BULLETS? He went into detailed descriptions of what I should look for.

In other news I went to a super heavy but really good Russian movie tonight. It was called "The Banishment." Very good. very long. In fact - it was so long that the Japanese restaurant below the theater - the restaurant that I really wanted to go to (for the root beer float - don't ask) was closed. Disappointing.

No comments: