Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Lots of Updates and No Time

Since we last spoke we have been really busy.

Saturday we went to our friend, Lisa's birthday celebration, which was hands-down the best brunch we have had since we moved to Singapore. Matt also made a funny joke, but it might come across weird on a blog, so if you're interested email me or Matt. I was proud of him.

Saturday night we went to the east coast and ate good Chinese food and had some beers on the beach with excellent people. It was a mixture of our Jews and some SAIS people. Really nice to not think about Finance for a while.

Sunday our friend Rachel had a t'naim ceremony here. She and Daniel are getting married in the States, but they wanted to have a celebration with their community here in Singapore, so they sort of split up the wedding ceremony. It was especially neat, because they had to create the whole thing from scratch. My favorite is their t'naim document. They wrote it like a daf of talmud - where they had their t'naim (conditions or commitments) written like the mishna, and then they had paragraphs explaining what each of the terms meant - including references from torah and other texts. It was really brilliant.

Sunday night we had a funny experience, because we went to Chat Masala (our fav restaurant) with Naomi and Adi (our guests), and it was empty. It's never empty on Sunday night. We always have to make reservations. We asked if they knew why, and no one did, but we suggested maybe because it was the F1 final race? On the way home, Matt and Adi were petting our neighbor's dog, and the neighbor asked why we weren't watching the race. Every tv in our condo was set to watch. I guess we just don't care...more Chat Masala for us!!

Sunday night we also watched the Michigan game (Slingbox and DVR - it's amazing). I cannot believe what happened. They looked absolutely horrible for the first three quarters - HORRIBLE (and Wisconsin didn't look much better!)...and then all of the sudden...out of nowhere. I just can't believe they won. Really - I can't.

Last night my group had a super productive meeting where Luis and I finished the Finance, Anna and Won finished the Accounting and Brian got a head start on Stats. I think this group thing is good...we just can't do it all!

Last night Matt and I went to the UHC services. Last year there was an earthquake at Rosh Hashana night services. This year it wasn't earth shattering...just nice. We had a great dinner with old friends (it was our anniversary of meeting our closest friends!), and we met a few new ones. Then we had a Rosh Hashana drink...also for Lisa's birthday. Call me crazy, but I wasn't up for the bar with the girls dancing around poles that the rest of them seemed to prefer. I mean it's ROSH HASHANA! I feel bad enough for going to the bar...We ended up at a much more conservative place...but still in Orchard Towers.

Best story of the night...I checked my phone before services, and I had a missed call. It was from Adonai. That's my friend at INSEAD, but I really thought it was HILARIOUS right before RH services.

Long and pointless blog posting...but I guess there's a lot going on, and too many stories.

No comments: