Sunday, September 7, 2008

Everest Training

So...I'm not training to climb Mt Everest, but my friend Tenley is. She and her husband Jeff are climbing a part of the mountain in about a month. Tenley is doing training to get her body ready for 12 days of trekking...

Yesterday they went to a mountain in Malaysia, and today they did a training in Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. I went with her this morning. Basically we went up and down these long "natural" staircases. It was probably really good for our legs (and maybe butts too?), but not the most exciting thing to do. Luckily I like Tenley, so we had fun together.

I wanted to share an experience from this morning. Tenley brought a plastic bag full of carrots. During a rest, she took them out, and she was about to start opening the plastic bag, when a monkey came trotting up to us making a weird grunting sound. Tenley and her quick responses threw the bag of carrots into the forest. The monkey immediately broke open the bag and enjoyed a huge carrot...all the way until the end. It was scary. It reminded me of this time when the monkey attacked me for my banana peel.

I took this picture with my phone, so it's not so clear, but this is the end of the monkey enjoying the carrot, and the bag of carrots is somewhere to the right of the picture, next to the tree.

Matt is coming back tomorrow morning. I'm glad, because I really enjoy life so much more when he's a part of it. I can't wait to have him back...and neither can the Kitty. She keeps watching the doors - even when I'm going to sleep in my bed, she is watching the doors, as if she's ready for him to walk in at any moment. I keep telling her, "four more days..." "Two more days..." etc, but she doesn't seem to understand.

No comments: