Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Google

I'm obsessed. Not as obsessed as Ruthie, but I really love Google.

I use:
gmail (and am the biggest promoter)
gmaps
blogger (obviously...)
Google calendar
iGoogle (my homepage is iGoogle - you can set it to load anything you want including your friend's blogs, news, new Spanish words, "how to's," weather...)
Google Analytics (to see who YOU are reading this blog)
I love their online tools - like spreadsheets
I also have a great Google t shirt (thanks Jer!) and I'm trying to take a picture of me in it in each country I go to since I got it

I really believe that Google just gets it better than any other company I am aware of. They are so able to see what people want, and they give it to you without any bull. I'm currently reading "The Google Story" so I will offer more insight when I'm more than 1/2 done with it.

Working at Google is my dream.

I ran a Jewish family program two weekends ago, and a woman who had just moved to Singapore asked if Matt and I wanted to go to her house for Shabbat dinner. We accepted, and on the way over, I received a call from my friend, Pam. "You know that she is really high up in Google in Singapore, right?" NO! I did not know this! I was super excited, but I tried to control myself during dinner and only let it slip once that I love Google and want to work for them. The good news is that she said they're hiring "MBAs like [me]."

Google came to our campus to recruit tonight. They're mostly recruiting the people who are graduating in December, but I went to hear the presentation. The presentation content was good - the delivery was "eh." But I still want to work there. I talked to the recruiter, and she said that the Singapore office is really growing right now, and they will be hiring in lots of departments. Good news for me. (We're most likely to stay in Singapore when I graduate).

I walked away and thought all was well and good, but then I realized that I think that Google might be holy. I went back to my locker to change out of my fancy recruitment clothes, and I did a really weird thing. Usually when I'm in a religious setting, I'm very aware of things that have God's name, and I don't put them on the ground. I would never put something on the ground and then realize it and then pick it up - I'm pretty conscious of it from the beginning. Well, I had that same thought as I started to put the "recruitment page" from Google down on the ground. I subconsciously thought - this is holy. Don't put it on the ground.

That's weird.

I love Google.

Picture is me writing this blog posting.

3 comments:

Anna said...

and yet according to your sidebar hotmail is matt's mail choice. you will need to work on this if this is true.

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

you're totally right. matt actually uses my gchat to chat with his friends, and he uses it to find email addresses of his friends, etc. it's just way better, but i guess he's not ready to switch over (though he does have a gmail address...). each in our own time.

Phyllis said...

And you never did tell us what the taxi driver explained to you as the way to find out if your husband is cheating...