Sunday, September 21, 2008

Stanley Clark, Markus Miller and Victor Wooten

Friday night we went to an amazing concert. It was at Esplanade - where we have seen an "eh" performance of The King and I as well as a really boring, weird, modern Indonesian dance performance. I am pretty sure we have been there for other things, but I can't remember.

Anyways - this was definitely the best. Stanley Clark, Markus Miller and Victor Wooten are all three bass (guitar) players. They formed a band of THREE BASS PLAYERS! It's a pretty neat thing. They have a back-up keyboardist/synthesizer as well as a wonderful drummer (with an excellent body), but they were the stars by far. I really like(d) the band Bela Fleck, and I have lots of their music - partially thanks to Kenny and partially before I acquired his cd collection. Victor Wooten was one of the bassists in that band, and they really highlighted their bassists - which is pretty unique for a band. He makes his bass make sounds that I have never heard before, let alone coming out of that instrument. I heard a superb interview with him on NPR, and when I saw that he was coming here I was pumped.

We went with Peter, Maria, Gal and Ohad and Karthik. I can't really explain what it did to my insides, but I hadn't heard good music in such a long time, and I so rarely feel lost in something beautiful while I'm in Singapore. I know that's a sort of negative thing to say, but everything is so organized and planned, and you never get carried away by the authenticity of something. I absolutely loved the music. They have a cd called Thunder, so if you're looking for new music - go for it!!

In other news we went to an INSEAD party afterwards that auctioned off men. It was pretty funny - but though I try, partying hardy is just not my forte.

One of the highlights of my Saturday was cleaning out the house. When I got to the garbage can, I saw that there were MAGGOTS ALL OVER IT!!! I haven't really cooked since I started school, and I guess we don't use our garbage can too much, so I have no idea how long they were there. I think it must be from some yucky cat food from last weekend. I wanted to crawl out of my skin and die. Matt took care of it. Sometimes I really appreciate having a husband.

Last night we went to our friends, Brandi and Terry's house to play Settlers. We had the best game I have ever played. We were all in it - and it was so exciting to the end. Did I ever write that I love that game?

Today Matt is doing his pool exercises for his rescue diver certification, so he's gone most of the day. I went biking in East Coast Park with Deeksha - which was super nice - except for when she fell off her bike and skinned her knee. She did a really good job of not hurting any other parts of her body, though.

No comments: