Thursday, April 9, 2009

Grafman Passover

I just came from a wonderful seder at the Grafmans'. This was my first Birnholtz and Hildebrandt free seder in my entire life. I know - I'm shocked too, but I always came home from Israel or my parents came to visit.

Though I have never left my seder bubble, I am not so surprised to see that our seder is extremely similar to others (or at least the Grafmans'). The whole egg, fish, soup, brisket, meat, tzimis, veggie, random good dessert thing...Some who want to do the whole thing, others who don't mind the singing, others who just want to eat, and then even others who just sort of are happy to have it all happen around them. Each seder seems to have them all.

The matza balls were the best matza balls I have ever had. Apparently the key is A SECRET. (I was asked to remove it from my blog!).

Another exciting part of this seder was that I got to bring Adonai with me. Adonai was at my seder. Was Adonai at your seder? We also brought him to shul. It was mostly smooth, except when he met the rabbi, and he kept just shaking his hand and staring at him. That was a bit awkward. I have to admit that I cracked up in the middle of the shema. Who sits next to ADONAI in shul? It was just a little too much for me. He was a great sport, since he hasn't had too many encounters with Judaism - ate all the food, even read parts of the seder.

I realized today (again...) how disconnected I am from Judaism right now - when I saw on facebook that everyone is doing this prayer for the sun which apparently happens every 28 years, and not only did I not know it was coming up, but I have never heard of it! Weird.

4 comments:

Harry said...

I'm curious of Adonai's take on the night. Maybe he could do a guest blog posting?
I'm also glad you got to have the second night with the family. Please send them my best, I I hope you get to spend a little time with them all.
I had the first seder with Chabad, which was disappointing at best. We skipped most of the haggadah so the rabbi could tell bad jokes and stumble through silly stories. Hannah could have done a better job, I'm betting. But last night I went to a reconstructionist shul, and the people were so warm and the seder, although very short, was filled with energy and song. It was gevalt.
Chag Samayach
Harry

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

Harry!!! We miss you in Michigan!! Even my parents miss you. :) Sorry your passover was only haft great - but I'm happy for that second night. Reconstructionist is my new favorite kind. I fell in love with Mordechai Kaplan when I was at Pardes a few years ago. Was talking about you with the Goldfeins today and Lichtman last night. You would have fit right into my weekend in so many places! You love Adonai - I think you two have to meet. I will ask for a guest posting. Chag sameach!!

Unknown said...

Meli! Not only do I understand the philosophical difficulties of sitting next to A in shul but as you see, I can't quite get myself to write or pronounce his name... Does he know about that part?

As for birkat hachama, no worries. I don't think any of us heard of it until two weeks ago or so and then it became this big deal. My Dad and Juan went to the Tayelet with Pardes at 6 am. I was sleeping off kashering the kitchen and did it at 7 am - from my porch ;-)

Chag Sameach! xoxoxo

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

We need to talk when it's not 4am your time. I miss you, Dena!!