Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bus, Brunch, Bris, Baby, Baseball, & a Boy Named Jack

I just returned from the most beautiful day in New York City.

It was beautiful because the weather was in the 70s and sunny. The trees are in bloom, and it just smelled good (before the piss smell comes out).

It was beautiful because there were thousands (millions?!) of people and families on the streets. You had to fight for space on the sidewalk, and everyone looked so happy to be outside. The Great Lawn was literally COVERED with people, and if you look from far away you could see balls pop up everywhere every few seconds. The park was PACKED.

It was also beautiful because I saw people I love, and in particular two really special babies.

I had a superb brunch at Bubby's (that's what it's called, I swear) in Tribeca with Flyer. SUPERB. And I love connecting with Fly.

I then was invited to attend/partake in Jer and Terese's baby, Max's bris. I felt like I walked into a really intimate moment in their lives, and I felt so fortunate to be there. First of all the baby is beautiful, and I absolutely loved seeing the two of them as parents. It was so amazing to see. The mohel did a really beautiful ceremony - even though it was all written down and "set" it still felt like it was just for Max. I think we all cried a little bit. When I say "we all" I mean me, Jer, Terese (the Mohel didn't cry, and Max didn't cry THEN). I was the only one there, and while I was so happy to be there, for them, I wished that there had been more people.

I understand that a bris is a crazy thing to do to your child. You spend all of your love and energy to keep your baby safe and happy, and then you willingly turn him over to be hurt by someone. It must be a REALLY hard think for a parent (particularly a mother, I think) to do. When Shana did it as well as other friends, I did think about how crazy it is to do this in front of so many people, and how it's sort of like genital mutilation, and I don't really understand how it's normal...but today I understood some of the value.

It was so special to welcome Max not only to the Jewish people, but also to the world, and into his wonderful family and parents' families (and the Michigania family!) and the lives of everyone around him. It must have been a special moment for J & T to take a step back from the craziness of the last week and really welcome him with a super old ceremony. I did, though, really see the value of having so many friends and family around when you do this, because it sort of envelops and supports the baby as well as his family, and it takes the focus away from the actual circumcision (which is still TERRIBLE!). Though I don't really know what their take on the whole thing was, I am so happy for them that they did it, and I am so happy that I was able to be there with them, and I hope that they look back on it in a positive way - it was intense, man. Whoa.

The second baby story is also so special. This baby was also born last Saturday, to my friends David and Alex. They have been trying to have a baby for years...they got four embryos that are made from each of their genetic materials (I don't know how appropriate it is to disclose super details here...but I feel like what I wrote is okay?). They found a surrogate, who interestingly had her tubes tied, and she didn't need to untie them for this - which makes sense, but it wasn't something that made sense to me right away. She housed and grew their embryo - fetus - baby, and last Saturday, three weeks early, she pushed Flora into the world, and she is so beautiful - and looks a LOT like David. I am overwhelmingly excited that two gay men can legally do this and have this beautiful daughter. This took a lot of work, energy, time, etc., but there are no legal issues now that she's home. One major catch is that neither really gets maternity leave...but they're figuring it out.

I had walked from 72 to 102, then I went into the park, ran into Daniel (obviously), and I walked to meet Jack at the bottom of the park. I saw a fun looking game of softball, so I sat to watch, and I realized that their names were Levine, Levin, Cohen, Fine, Weiss, you get the idea. Their team name was "The Tribe." It was funny. I met Steve. Steve had a super amazing diving catch in the sixth. I was proud.

Jack and I walked to Hell's Kitchen, ate great sushi, ate even better frozen yogurt, walked to the D, and Jack put me on the bus back to Philly.

What a long and wonderful day. One of the best ever, I think.

No comments: