Friday, April 3, 2009

The Ethical Dilemma of Death

Before I came to the states, I decided that one inconvenient trip would be a good idea while I'm in Philly. DC and NY are really convenient, so they don't count, and Michigan was required (just ask my mom), so that also didn't count. My finalists: Chicago, Toronto, Ithaca, Boston.

Chicago: I would love to see friends there including Jill and Ben, Marla and Allen, Kirsten and Chad, Laura, Seth and Elissa...could have been great. Then I found out that Jill was coming to Michigan to see me, Laura was coming to DC on the weekend I would be there, and Marla (and at that point possibly Kirsten) would be in Michigan during Passover. Chicago did not win.

Toronto: I would love to spend some serious time with Shana, Daniel and Joseph. I could see all of my brother's hilarious friends and even spend time with him there. Then I found out that Shana and Joseph were coming to Michigan to see me. Toronto did not win.

Ithaca: Jer has lived there for a couple of years now, and I haven't really ever spent time there. I would love to see his house (that he doesn't live in), and spend some time outdoors. Then I realized I would see Jer at home for Passover, and he might not be there the weekend I could travel. Ithaca did not win.

Boston: I would get to see Sarah, and her purchased apartment, and I could even meet her boyfriend. I could see Liba, Ethan and Adin, whom I haven't seen since my last morning in NYC (Adin was a year old). I could meet their new son, Yona. Though I would see Sarah for the first seder in Philly - Boston won.

It was no easy thing to find a way to get here with a reasonable price, but I figured it out - with a 5am train and a flight back from Manchester, NH. I couldn't wait.

Then...I got a call from Liba on Monday night telling me that her grandfather is dying in Rochester, NY. I have a big heart, and I feel horrible that her family is going through this, so don't let what you read on the rest of this post tell you otherwise. She said they didn't know when he would pass away, but it looked like it was going to be soon. Basically, when he passed away, they would hold the funeral the next day, and then they would come back to Boston the next day. In my MBA calculations, and the fact that they keep shabbat, that meant that if he passed away after Wednesday I would not see Liba, Ethan, Adin or Yona in Boston. I DEFINITELY did not hope for anything so horrible, but I feel bad that I even had that thought.

Sometimes I think that if I blog about it it doesn't count.

Needless to say, they're still in Rochester, and I'm in a cafe in Cambridge. The good news is that I get to spend more time with Sarah, but I am really disappointed (I even left my gifts from Philippines, Thailand, and China that I got for Adin back in my dorm room). :(

Mazal tov to Mike and Jo who had a beautiful baby, Charlie, this week. Two wonderful quotes from Mike,
"Even though we have only had him for two days, I can't even remember what my life was like without him."
"His head looked like a sub from subway when he came out. Like something from another world." (okay, that one wasn't nice, but it's funny)

No comments: