Tuesday, July 31, 2007

wo chi gali yutou

Matt and I had our first Mandarin lesson last night, and we actually learned how to say, "I
eat fish head curry," "You eat fish head curry," "He eats fish head curry," etc. The title of this post is the "I" form.

Who would have thunk that we would learn that in the first lesson?!

That's just about all we learned, unfortunately. We learned that there are four tones in Mandarin. We learned two ways to say angry, fanu being more angry than shengqi.

There were about 12 people in our class. It seemed as though they were all Singaporean other than us two and this other Anglo lady. Some of the people were Chinese and embarrassed that they didn't know Mandarin. The Indian lady assumed the Thai dudes were Chinese and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't already know Mandarin.

Other than Chinese...today was my last day of my two month long vacation. I am excited to start work, but I'm nervous. What if I forgot how to go to work everyday? Who's going to clean? Who will cook dinner? Who will shop? Do laundry? We might have to call Maria...

There's apparently a problem with my working papers. It appears that someone applied for a letter of consent to allow me to work back in April. If only I knew, I wouldn't have spent all that time looking for a job! The only problem is that the Office of Manpower said that the company didn't list their name with the application. I think it was probably just a mistake, but it's causing me problems! Now, rather than getting paid, I am volunteering my next three days. That sucks. I mean, I'm so happy to help the world.

No comments: