Sunday, July 1, 2007

Aloo Gobi

All is well for our weekend. Went to the National Museum of Singapore - didn't make it to the history part, but we saw a really cool exhibit on food. They have examples of spices, fruits and vegetables that are widely used here, and now my trips to the grocery store will be more enlightened.

We also got a green slurpee from 7 Eleven. How gross is that? It was green apple "flavor." I was so hot, I really didn't know what to do with myself - hadn't stopped sweating in hours, and it was the first cold thing I saw. It did cool me down...

We also went for dinner at Samy's Curry Restaurant with our friend, Veena. The restaurant seems to be an institution in Singapore - eat on a banana leaf, eat great food, drink lime juice - and this is all while you're in an old British clubhouse. It was nice.

Today I spent my 4 out of my first 5 hours awake in a pool in the sun. I did my pool requisites for scuba certification. There wasn't anyone else in my class, so it was a pretty fast private lesson. I didn't realize that I would be so sore afterwards, but it must be new muscles that I don't usually use, because my back and stomach muscles are killin'!!

While I was being productive in the pool (productive with my sun burn that is...) Matt was sleeping. Considering he wakes up around 6 every day, I think he's allowed.

We met a nice couple from our complex. They just moved here from India (not quite as recently as us, but still fresh). I'm sure they can't replace Chag and Of, but still.

We also met Fred, who lives across the hall from us. He is from Wales (spelling fix thanks to Jill), he comes home around 6:30 or 7 pm, he has a lady helper that comes at exactly 9:30 sharp everyday, and that's all I know about him, but he seemed very nice (and sunburned too).

Matt and I ventured five minutes down the road to one of the two Indian restaurants in a little strip. It was called Chat Massala - for spicy food and spicy gossip (that's really what it says on the sign!). It was so good. The Aloo Gobi was outstanding, vegetable biryani to die for, and we even had some sort of ginger naan which was like candy. I love the food here. We ate all of it.

2 comments:

Jillian said...

It's WALES, silly. Not wHales. But we still love you.

Jeremy said...

Though it would be sort of cool if he actually did live in whales (no cap) at one point in his life... Very biblical. Or Disney (read: Pinocchio).

See, Mel? I'm reading the blog!

Happy Canada Day!