Friday, July 27, 2007

Unreasonably Disheveled

It's been raining all day. I actually love rain in Singapore, because it means that it's not outrageously hot. But...I can't understand that when it does rain - why I am always disheveled, and no one else is!?

I am always slipping all over the place (nearly fell twice today), wet and uncomfortable, and generally internally bitchy. On the MRT today, my umbrella was dripping all over the floor. It was POURING outside. Maybe 8% of the people in the train had umbrellas, and they were all dry! There were no other drops of water on the floor of the train. I don't understand!

Also, when it's sunny, why is it that I'm always sweating my ass off, and everyone else just goes about their business? By the time I get to the MRT, I want to chop off my hair, strip off my clothes, and jump into a cold pool. Obviously people can see all the sweat dripping down my back. Why does no one else have it? How do all of these ladies have long, heavy hair, and they all wear it down everyday!?

I think that in New York it's okay to look disheveled. No one really looks at you. No matter how disheveled I looked in New York, I still looked like one of the most normal people on the Subway. There is always someone lookin' a little worse. In Singapore this is not the case. Everyone is well dressed. There's never that smelly guy. No one even lights up a cigarette on the subway - EVER. I don't know if those people exist in Singapore. Maybe they all live far off the MRT lines.

In addition to my observations of my maiming of the train, I also spotted a goiter. I'm really almost sure it was a goiter. I saw one in my science book in Mrs. Parker's biology class in 9th grade. It was my first live goiter. I figured this guy has some sort of high blood pressure and therefore can't have ANY salt, and apparently nothing else has iodine in it.

My last observation on the train was a woman who had a constantly disapproving look, and it really looked a lot like the look my Bubby used to have. She was just looking at everyone and disapproving about something they were doing/wearing/thinking.

No comments: