Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Water Show that Wasn't

Today was a busy day for Hildebrandts in Singapore. We got up, went to the market, Matt and Peter got hair cuts by the cute Malaysian Chinese lady. We got back and ate some left-overs from last night, and then Matt and I went to see our friends Tali and Alon's baby. We hadn't seen her for a few months, and she is so cute and fun! It was great to see her. Then we headed to our dive shop, and I got my first diving mask and some booties. Now I will not get bruises in my uni-brow area and blisters on my feet. I think I will enjoy diving more. Then we hopped on the MRT and went to the mall to meet up with a bunch of friends to see You Don't Mess with the Zohan. I cannot believe that is a movie. I was DYING the entire time. It's so outrageous. He is hilarious. I have to see what Arabs are saying about this movie, and I'm 99% sure there's not much positive, but I can tell you that we were entertained and that 70% of the movie went over the heads of most of the people in the audience. There were so many funny jokes. I HIGHLY recommend that people see this movie. I think I'm the target audience for it - N. American Jew who gets the Israel jokes and appreciates silly penis humor.

Then we took cabs to the Bedok Reservoir, where there was supposed to be this Dutch music thing on the water that closed the Singapore Arts Festival. We walked and walked and we saw a bunch of people sitting on the grass. We asked if it was happening where they were sitting, and they said "yes. That is why there is this wooden platform here." Okay. We believed them. Then I called our friend whom we were meeting there, and I heard music, an announcer and realized that there was something we were missing. She couldn't describe WHERE on the reservoir she was, so we walked around the reservoir. We walked for about 10 minutes, and we passed literally hundreds of people who had set up chairs around the reservoir - looking at nothing. You couldn't tell anything was going on, but Julie swore it had already started. Okay - so we turned around when we ran into a European family who said there was nothing in the direction we were going in. We walked back, passed those hundreds of people sitting in chairs and on the platform near the water. There were no signs. The sound was NOT traveling across the water. We saw some small lights far away. Finally, we got there, and you could not see ANYTHING, because everyone was standing, and we are too short. I sat on the grass at the back with some friends. We saw a bit robot that had fire coming out of his eyes and water spurting out of his head. Then there were fireworks. Then it was over. Julie and Paul said it sucked, so I guess we didn't miss anything, but it sure was annoying not being able to get there...

Please enjoy this photo I took at our friend's condo. It says "poo" on a public sign.

No comments: