Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Catching my Attention

On the way home yesterday I saw three ads that made me laugh.

1) On the side of a mall, there was a picture of a happy couple and next to it was a picture of a diamond ring. I then had the word "monogamy" and a definition. It looked like it came from a dictionary. I didn't catch the whole definition (I was on the moving bus), but I did see the last line which was something like "for a life of guaranteed intensity." In Malaysia there is a lot of talk recently about how men need to recognize monogamy more...I didn't know it was a problem anymore in Singapore...

2) I saw an ad for a cream or soap. The ad said, "You are the sparkle. You don't need diamonds." My first thought is - GREAT! Focus on the woman, and not the things she HAS. Then I saw that the product advertised guaranteed that your skin would be lighter in just three weeks. So much for that idea.

3) I saw an ad with fake newspaper headlines. "Hand Food and Mouth Disease Hits Singapore." "...3 more in China." There were a bunch of headlines that implied that it is killing people in Singapore and China (which isn't necessarily UN-true). It was an ad for soap, and how if you use this soap you can keep your family safe.

Singapore definitely bases much on fear, and this is another example. This makes me think that after 9-11 in the US, that ads would have sprung up like - "The terrorists are coming to your neighborhood. Use this protective sealing tape so you don't die of nuclear god-knows-what."

No comments: