Friday, June 6, 2008

The Sounds

Yesterday I did the unheard of (so to speak).

I forgot my ipod.

My dad tried to convince me to get an ipod for at least two years, until I caved nearly three years ago, and I got the nano. I listened on my 1/2 hour walk to work everyday for the last two years in NYC, and I have listened nearly everyday in Singapore.

I have about 200 songs on it, but they're only for emergency.
Priorities are in this order:
1) NPR Most Emailed Stories (downloaded daily)
2) WNYC's On the Media (only 1 hr/week)
3) This American Life (only as a TREAT or for working out - too precious to commute with)
4) Marketplace (gets out of date after a few days)
5) Music on mix (but my ipod is in Spanish, so it's actually aleatorio canciones)

I listen on my way to work now, because I found an express bus that goes directly from our house to the CBD, and I get to work in 25-30 minutes (which is UNBELIEVABLE since I thought an hour was good before). I can read my New Yorker on the MRT, but since I get car sick, I can't read on the bus.

I certainly listen when I walk around busy places. Walking around busy places in Singapore is my least favorite thing in the world. I try to pretend it's not happening.

I listen when I browse in shops. Otherwise it bothers me that the vendors constantly ask you what you're looking for or suggest other things. For some reason I think this is funny in the wet market, but it annoys the crap out of me in a proper store.

I listen all the time. Sometimes Ira and I have moments all to ourselves. Sometimes Kai Ryssdal and I are totally on the same page about the economy. I'm believing in "This I Believe." I am IN the Supreme Court with Nina Totenberg. It gets me through my days, and I learn a lot.

Yesterday was my hell. I had to listen to the sounds and remember that I was in Singapore ALL DAY LONG. This included:
  • The weird bell that dings every four seconds on the bus on the way to work
  • The stupid people talking on their hand phones on the bus
  • The constant sound of the two beep nokia phones receiving text messages
  • It made me THINK about the people who walked in front of me and cut me off for no good reason
  • I met my friend Rachel to study Jewish stuff at the mall last night, and I had to WALK AROUND IN A MALL - bad walkers AND annoying people trying to sell you things - with all of my senses.
So, basically my ipod makes me unaware and disinterested, which usually I really appreciate, but it actually concerns me now that I'm writing it out.

Today I heard a rap about the Economist which made me think of Matt and his obsession with the Economist.

I heard something about the anti-folk music in Juno that made me think of my dad...I just like my life better this way.

No comments: