Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Chicken at Long John Silvers

When I was 15 and went to Camp Ramah for the summer, my friend Chris sent me a drawing he did on his computer. It was a pirate in the high seas (patch and all), fishing for chickens. He was a representative of Long John Silver, and this was Chris trying to figure out why the company had a whole pirate/sea theme going on while they were serving a lot of chickens. I think his main question was if there were chickens to be found in the seas.

That was back in 1993 or 1994. Luckily, a lot has changed between then and now. I don't even know if Long John Silver exists in the US - I don't think I have seen it since high school - but it surely does here. And this picture is what I found on the bus stop on my way home tonight. The have changed from the sea into war chickens equipped with bullets. We still have the pirate thing going - peg leg and eye patch - but no seas at all. I guess they learned their lesson.

5 comments:

Seabass said...

That explains the shell casing I found in my chicken plank a couple weeks ago. But I don't know why the chickens are hunting fellow chickens-of-the-sea from pirate ships. If I had a drawing program on my computer right now, I would try to illustrate all of this.

Jason said...

My older brother's first job was at Long John Silver's, and he always came back smelling like grease and fish. We did often go there during Lent to get fish, and I do like malt vinegar.

FWIW, they still do exist.

David Weeks said...

I didn't know that Long John Silver's was even still in business... wow... I could really go for those gut creating Hush Puppies. Life truely doesn't get any better than filling your belly with deep fried battery goodness.

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

Don't any women have anything to say about this? So interesting to have all male commenters.

Chris - I forgot to mention in my post that your sea had a stalk of corn growing out of it. I recall that very clearly for some reason.

Seabass said...

I still have a copy of that drawing at my parents' house. I'm going there in July and I'll try and dig it up and scan a copy. I am currently working on a new illustration that I will send you hopefully in the next few days. I keep getting distracted by annoying work.

To Jason's point about the smell of grease and fish, I can corroborate it: I purchased the Long John Silvers shirt off one of their employee's backs in 1996. No matter how many times I washed it, it still smelled like rotten fish.