Sunday, June 22, 2008

My Chinese Day

This morning we were supposed to hike McRitchie reservoir, but it was thunderstorming and had been for hours, so we went for dim sum instead.

We met Jeff and Tenley at a dim sum restaurant recommended by a Singaporean in my Spanish class. It's on the seventh floor of an hdb (public housing) complex in the middle of nowhere, but still downtown. It is the most random thing ever.

It's a huge dim sum hall filled with Chinese families. We saw two other white people, and we literally saw hundreds of people waiting in the line and eating...It was a place where they have carts of dim sum and other foods that they bring around and you choose what you want. We ate so much food - we had no idea how much it cost. I ate chicken feet. Why not. I didn't like that I could feel the little toe joints, so I'm not sure I would do it again, but I wanted to try. My picture of them didn't come out too clearly. The rest of the food was outstanding. It was S$50 (about $35 US) for us all to stuff our faces for hours. Not bad.

Then I went to find a cheap pedicure or foot massage. This week was rough on my feet, so I thought I would treat them to one of those. I found a foot reflexology massage. It was outstanding. There were only two places that were too ticklish to touch. That I would do again.

The third Chinese thing I did was use a squatter toilet. I did it three times today (I drank a lot of tea this morning).

2 comments:

David Weeks said...

Squatting Toilets.... hmmmm... that does not sound like a pleasant experience to me. Those crazy chinese, what is next a hand-stand toilet?

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

David - Check this out. They're actually much better than our western toilets...just confusing at first. :)
http://greatexpectasia.blogspot.com/2008/03/singapore-squatter.html