Saturday, June 21, 2008

Manicured Piggies

This week was really hard and tiring. Luckily it ended up with a super fun Shabbat dinner in our clubhouse with 16 of our friends. I ended up figuring out how to deal with only one little fake oven...but I found out that we can really only use two of our four burners at the same time if we're using the wok. There's just no space. Anyways - I made one oven dish (carrot kugel), and one cold dish (couscous salad), and green Thai curry, rice, and lentil soup. People brought other food, and it all worked out swimmingly. We are lucky to have people we like so much - and to be able to have shabbat dinner with 18 people one year after we move here is a pretty cool thing.

Other than dinner, I had to be at work at 7:15 on Thursday and Friday, and we had big events, so I was "on" for a lot of hours this week. I'm happy this week is over.

Since I don't have much to write about this week, I wanted to write about a phenomenon I have seen here that blows my mind.

In the US we do (not ME, but WE) get manicures and pedicures. Pedicures are usually to clean up the feet and keep the toe nails short and cute looking. Here, there are women who have super manicured - and LONG!!! - toe nails. This means that these feet NEVER go into shoes (they wouldn't fit!). Can you imagine never wearing shoes, only sandals? Such a weird concept. It makes me feel a little nauseous when I see it.

No comments: