Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Chinese New Year INSEAD Style

We have school on Chinese New Year. I am currently in a group meeting with my Chinese Singaporean groupmate. I just learned a few things.

I asked about how much they give and to whom.
My groupmate (who will remain nameless) was telling me I actually don't have to give to anyone because I'm not Chinese. Score.
She was also telling me that you give $2, $4 or $6 or $8 to kids. I said, "what? You give $4? I thought that was a bad number in Chinese culture." She replied "INFLATION!" She said they used to give $2, but now kids are expecting more, and they care more about the money than the auspicious number.

She also said that she keeps a spreadsheet of the amounts that people give her kids so she can be sure to reciprocate.

Spreadsheets and inflation! That's Chinese New Year business school style.

No comments: