Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Health Care Here RULES!!!

Three things:
1) The hungry ghosts
2) The health care system here
3) Splinter won

1) I found out more about the burning stuff. In the seventh month the gates to heaven are opened, and all of the dead people can come back to earth (for the month). In their own homes, many people light incense, burn clothes, money and food for their ancestors. The people doing it on the street are doing it as a mitzva for the ancestors who don't have a home to go to. They are called hungry ghosts, and these good Samaritans are helping them be sated.

2) I got a urinary tract infection (from riding bikes this weekend, obviously). I didn't feel it until about 7:45 this evening. I started cooking dinner, and put rice and chili on the stove. I googled "after hours clinic singapore" and found a clinic right near our house. Matt came home around 8:15, and I let him know when to take the food off the stove. I got in a cab (it was $3.50 Sing, which is about $2.30 US). I gave them my name. I got a number. I was next. I saw the doctor. I peed on a stick. I was diagnosed as I suspected. I was given antibiotics. Total cost of the visit, including medications: $34 Sing (US$22)I took a cab home. I was home by 9:05. We ate dinner together. That's AMAZINGLY efficient and cheap!! I had to go to the hospital for the same thing at the same hour in DC a few years ago, and all in all it was over $500.

Also, there was a sign by the bathroom that said that people have been spending too much time in the bathroom, and that there was a three minute limit. It said that after three minutes, the toilet paper roll will retract, and some camera will come down and take your picture. If you are caught twice, then your picture will be hung in the office as a "repeat offender." It also warned that if you are caught smiling that you will be punished according to the office's mental health policy. The thing with Singapore is that I don't even know if this is a joke!

3) Splinter (the cat) won the war. We had been keeping her out of the house, and all she wanted was to come in. We decided to see what she would do if she was inside. We thought she might go straight for the food. We thought she would crawl all over our furniture. We thought she would bother our kitchen. Well, she didn't. She took her stupid red ball, and she played with it all over our apartment. She played under the table, in the living room, dining room and kitchen. She enjoys hitting it around the table and chair legs. She's so cute, I can't kick her out. Now she's just sleeping under the table. Matt thinks she just wants the company. I really am in love with her.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Not to get all political on you, but that's socialized medicine for you!