Friday, April 11, 2008

Noodles


Last night I met Tenley and Raqvind in Chinatown. We walked in the touristiness and rain for a bit, and then Tenley found a noodle place with red doors (that was the only description she knew, but somehow we found the right one!). It's a place that makes their own noodles, and they do it right in front of you. The guy said that one ball of dough (which really isn't that big) can split up into 32,000 pieces. I have no idea how it works, though. Makes no sense to me that the dough just splits when you throw it into the air. Anyways - in this picture, the craziness is actually lots of thin noodles.

On another note, after that I watched the Kite Runner with a few ladies. It was amazing. I forgot how good the story was (from the book). It's unbelievably touching, and the way they did the movie was just excellent. It was beautiful. Recommended if you haven't seen it yet. I think crying has made me sick, though - my throat hurts now. Hopefully it's just a stuck lump from the movie and it will go away.

On yet another note I'm a few days behind in American life, because I listen to NPR most emailed stories, but I always listen the next week. Right now I'm listening about the anniversary of MLK's death. They do such a great job with this stuff (NPR). Maybe because I'm nostalgic for the US (or have PMS), but it has been so moving to listen to people speak about what it was like to be at MLK's last speech and to see a black man run for president. Also they played people's reaction to the news of his being shot, and it was so devastating. It seemed like many people didn't know where the movement would be without their leader (and his speeches sound so inspiring - do people speak like that anymore?) - yet it really is impressive how different this country is from the 60s. Usually I'm not too proud to be an American, but that made me feel good.

No comments: