Monday, April 28, 2008

New York Thoughts

A few thoughts...

I absolutely love New York. From the second I arrived I remembered (not that I really forgot) how freaking amazing that city is. People all have agendas and opinions. They don't walk into you - there's something about planning two seconds ahead that just doesn't exist in Singapore. The food is unbelievable. The flowers are gorgeous (even if they're only for a few months per year). Did I mention the food is amazing? Also, it is special to be around people who have known me longer than a year. I might have not understood how nice this part actually is.

Basically Matt and I spent the last few days indulging in friends and food. 

Friends - We got to see Harry, Liz and Michael, Flyer, Jack, Whitney, Jeremy and Terese, Lilly, Stephen and Liz, Rachel and David and Ruthie. It was so great to see so many people we love.

Food - We ate Harry-made fish and great veggies, an amazing brunch at Rosewater, including cod cakes and beet salad and challah french toast (does it really mean you break passover if you eat Jewish food at restaurants?) and excellent pear ginger juice and hot apple cider. Then there was vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips at Cones. Matt got jamba juice. We got Magic Hat #9 at Dive Bar on 96th St. Then we had amazing penne and gnocchi with tasty salads and wine at Genarros. Finally we topped it off with Brooklyn Lager at Abbey Pub. That was all one day, basically. Then this morning we went to Good Enough To Eat and had pumpkin french toast and a great omelette. Finally, we got a bagel, cream cheese and lox from Zabars. Do you understand why I feel totally sick and have a huge tummy right now? 

Hair - I realized something really important. I would rather not bring hair product and have terrible hair for a few days than check my bag for the airplane. I think I should probably care more about how I look, but I'm certainly happy I didn't have to check my bag.

Cats - We just got an email that the condo that we live in has rounded up cats, and thank goodness our Kitty is okay, but unfortunately Mustache Man and some of our other friends aren't so lucky - and they're all gone. That is very bad news.

Birthdays and Deaths - Not that this is the least important so it should be last, just that it's the most awkward part to write. Matt's 31st birthday was yesterday. Also, his grandfather passed away. That is very bad news also. Matt will be spending tomorrow with his grandma and family.

No comments: