Thursday, January 28, 2010

Yoga

I have been doing yoga everyday for about a month (except Sundays). I love it.

I go to hatha 1 - where you learn more about doing the positions better, power 1 - where you basically just hold the positions longer and push yourself more, and yoga core - where you kick your stomach, back, and thighs' asses. It's damn hard.

There are a bunch of instructors at my studio, but mostly I have had the same four or five, and they're all really different. One sings during the shivasina (sp?) at the end, one makes jokes and makes us smile while we do yoga, one flirts his way through the class and makes sure he knows everyone's name. So different.

I have to say, though, that while I'm getting stronger, and generally trying to slow down my life, I'm not sure that yoga is good for my self-esteem. This is because for one hour per day, I sit in a room with the hottest girls in this country. They're all super skinny, muscly, Asian women, dressed in just about nothing - sticking their cute little asses in the air. It's usually 90% cute Asian women, and then there's me, a couple of Chinese guys, and a couple of white guys. I'm not sure it's the best place to pick up the women, since immediately after the class people seem to rush to the shower, but it's definitely good eye candy if you like that sort of thing.

I took more than a week of trying yoga before I could commit to joining. I had to join for a year, and this was the biggest commitment that I didn't need to make - that I have ever made. An apartment - you need it. A cell phone plan - pretty important. Most of my other commitments are so short term and with so few consequences. Ok - marriage might have been a bigger one, but I'm quite happy with that commitment. No regrets (now at least...). Anyways - hopefully I will continue to go, but so far, I'm loving yoga.

In other news Amy and Brett had a baby this week. Mazal tov!

In other news, I have tried to cut down on my social life and tried to either go to yoga or do nothing in the evenings during the week, and it has changed my life so far. I'm not running around (weird, if you know me, right? Can you even imagine that I don't have something to do each night after work?). I'm going to sleep at 10:30 or 11. I'm eating home cooked (but not super sophisticated) food. I'm spending more down time with Matt. There are consequences of this lifestyle - I have not had a chance to see many of my friends, but I have to say that I think it needs to continue. The only problem is that I also want a lot of down time on the weekends, and then when do I get to be social? Working just takes too much time (though I still love my job).

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

If you think having a social life is hard now, wait until you're working AND have a child!! (But it's worth it...most of the time.)

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

Ha. David Sedaris (I think it was) said that you can choose two of: health, family, friends, work. You just don't have time and energy for everything.