Sunday, January 24, 2010

D Cup gets you a bottle

I am sometimes appalled by advertising in Singapore, or other parts of Asia that we have traveled to - but this one that I saw last week took the cake.

I went to nice, seemingly tasteful bar, Loof, last Friday night. While waiting for the elevator to take me up, I saw an advertisement that said on the top, "A-Cup = free drink, B-Cup = 2 free drinks, C-Cupt = 3 free drinks, D-Cup = free bottle." I was totally shocked (and offended, and disgusted, etc.), so I actually ripped down the poster so I could better look at this event. I do not steal things. I have never taken down an advertisement. I just couldn't believe this was real. Upon further investigation, I saw that it was a Belvedere Vodka promotion, and it was an event that was going on the next night at One Fullerton (another shi-shi-ish area of town).

I couldn't believe it, and I kept telling everyone I saw about it. Can you believe that they would have an event like this? That they look at your boobs and decide on what free drink situation you should have? I mean, REALLY!?

Sunday morning, our friend (who will remain nameless, though people in the Singapore Jewy community will know who this is...) came over to warm up his kugel for a UHC brunch we were having. He was a bit tired and hung over. Why? Because he was at this event at One Fullerton last night. Actually it was sort of a funny event - it was an event where you get drinks based on your boob size. WHAT!? Yes!! He went to that event. Not only that, he brought another one of our super dignified friends! (She got a bottle, just for the record). I asked them all about it, and it seemed like it was all good fun, and basically just enjoyed themselves, but...there is a Boobie Booth, and you go up there, and you just stand there, and the judges decide if you're an A-D, and then you get drinks. Apparently the rest of the event/night didn't have to do with boobs. I could take a photo of the advertisement, but I found this online, where you can see most of the ad. The only thing that's missing is the top part that says how much you get for each size, and there is a picture of each one (just the bra - no boobs), A through D.

Wow - This would NEVER fly in the US, and I do think it's quite offensive.

The woman who comments in this article is the president of the women's non-profit that I used to work for when we first moved here.

No comments: