Thursday, November 5, 2009

Planning

I don't like having nothing to do...so I usually arrange it so that I always have something to do. Since Matt was gone for two weeks, I had lunch plans daily, dinner plans, coffees, errands to run, etc. I was out and busy everyday. I also realized that I needed things to look forward to, so I started planning. From between a week before Matt left until he came back, we got tickets to: Bali, Yogyakarta, Bangkok, Surabaya, and we're heading to Phuket tomorrow.

I have realized that we have run out of normal three day weekend places to go. We have been to the obvious ones, so now we're heading into the obscure. You will find out later what each of those unknown places has to offer...but now I'm busy finding hotels, airport transfers, and other exciting elements.

Yes - I am heading to Bangkok for the fourth time, and Bali for the fourth time. This is unacceptable, but it's also unavoidable. Matt is going to Bangkok for work, which means that I get to stay in a 5-star hotel for free, and I get free airport transfers. After we went to Thailand four times in our first six months here, we had to cut ourselves off, so this weekend will be my first time in almost two years. And next week will be my second.

We're heading to Bali, because we have friends who haven't been and want to take a surfing lesson. How can we not show them around and check out surfing? It's just not an option.

Traveling is definitely the best part of living here, so as long as we're here, we're taking advantage.

In other news, I have a job offer to do something I am really excited about. I will publish what it is publicly when I sign the contract, but this is just to say that you shouldn't worry about my unemployment.

Additionally, Matt finally came back from London. He was cold, saw leaves change color, ate matzah ball soup, saw the cats that stayed with us for a few months earlier this year. He had a training for work, which he said wasn't super applicable to his job, but overall, he was satisfied. AND, he got to fly on the A380. I thought that was cooler than he did. He did say it felt like a small town was all being transported elsewhere - just lots of people.

Finally, I saw Julie and Julia last night, which I LOVED. I thought Meryl Streep was incredible, and I really loved the two characters. They were so cute. One thing bothered me, though. This was the talk that blogging is just selfish and self indulging. That's not to say that I completely disagree with it, just that it sat funny with me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When we were in Surabaya, we visted the shul that is/was (?) there. Matt will remember it. He wrote a paper about the Jews of Surabaya for his program. I still have a copy of it. I also still have the contact information for the shul, if you two want to visit, since they preferred prior notice before showing up!