Thursday, November 12, 2009

Back to BKK

I am not working. Matt is working. Matt's job has sent him to Bangkok as it does every few months. Matt's job puts Matt up in the Sukhothai Hotel. Melanie loves Bangkok. Melanie loves fancy hotels. Melanie joined Matt for his business trip to Bangkok.

Last night we arrived to the hotel to find that they had upgraded us (why?) to the executive suite. The bathroom is probably bigger than our living room at home. We have two toilets, two sinks, two closet areas, a sitting area, an office, a huge, comfy bed...

There is a guy that Matt works with who said that he liked traveling for work until his home was nicer than his hotels. Last weekend in Phuket, I thought, yes, our apartment is much nicer than this hotel. This weekend in Bangkok, I think, I could stay here and never go back to our apartment. Ever. (Other than to get the Kitty to bring her here with us, obviously).

This morning, after Matt got up for his 7:30 meeting...I went back to sleep, and due to the total lack of light, I woke up again at 10:00, which is 11:00 in Singapore. Whoa! Cool! (I don't usually do that). I filled out my new employment pass application, figured out how to get it to the people who need it in Singapore (they had emailed me RIGHT before we left yesterday - super handy, huh?), and then I was off for my first day of touring on my third (fourth?) trip to Bangkok. This time, I decided I would check out shopping.

I headed off to Siam BTS Skytrain stop. There are about a hundred malls there. After eating some flat rice noodles with fish and vegetables for breakfast and lunch, I set off to find Platinum Fashion Mall. This was on recommendation from two friends. This is one of the craziest places I have ever seen. It is small shop after small shop...for six stories...with every kind of clothes or accessory you would ever want. It's all really cheap, but the catch is that you can't try anything on. I had come looking for clothes for work, but since I couldn't try anything on, I didn't end up getting too much I could wear to work (they were more expensive - like about US$15, and I just wasn't able to make that commitment without checking first). I did, however, get a ton of jewelry, hair bands (19 baht each! which is about US$0.60), a super cute bag, some shirts...I don't even remember what else. Mom - you can share the head bands with me. Then I found a mall with nice stores, but better sales than Singapore, so I got a couple of things at a store that has beautiful clothes - British India. Their sale in Singapore was pathetic. Here it was incredible. I walked around to see some of the house decorating ideas, so we can get the same stuff but cheaper on Saturday at the big market, and then I made my way back to this hotel. Now I can't wait to work out - I bet the gym is even fancy - and take a bath before Matt comes back and we head off to dinner with friends.

I should do this everytime he travels for work!

3 comments:

clevercrow said...

Wow. What a fun day. Does this mean we go to Thailand? Very different than Bali, huh.

clevercrow said...

Oh, this is Sarah, accidentally logged in as Ben.

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

Ha! Was wondering who you were...I do recommend Thailand. It's definitely the easiest place to travel out here. The food is the best, everything is cheap, and the people (other thank BKK cab drivers) are amazing. I love this city, though it would be so much better - including the cooking class if I dodn't have an upset stomach. :(