Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dead or Sleeping?

I have noticed that near our new place, people sleep all over. I can't tell if they're sleeping or dead. Yesterday I was walking down the path in the park next door, and there were four bodies lying across the path. I had to weave around them. All lying on their backs, with their necks supported by water bottles. Kind of like shivasena. This was not a first - there are often bodies laying in this park. On benches, on the grass, and all over the path.

Last evening I went to pick up some veggies at the wet market, and there was another dude lying on the floor of the table part of the market. Dead? Sleeping? Bizarre place to sleep - dirty floor of a food court. I did want to go up and see if he was alive. It felt irresponsible to just let it go, but I didn't. Hopefully he was sleeping.

In other news, we met Dena and Juan in Phuket for a super relaxing weekend of doing nothing. We basically talked and relaxed the whole time, with a nice view. They're enjoying their honeymoon, and they have actually changed plans to swing by Singapore next week. This will be my first friend visitor experience since we moved here two and a half years ago. Pretty hard to believe that no one else has come to visit! Doesn't feel that way for some reason...

One more unrelated point - I was listening to one of the gabfests from slate.com. They have great podcasts. One of the hosts talked about her love for Boggle - 5 x 5 and not 4 x 4, and she said she realized that 5 x 5 had been discontinued, so she went onto ebay and bought and old 5 x 5. Made me think of Michigania, and how Mark and Paula bought Cristine and Greg one of the last 5 x 5s for their wedding...over EIGHT years ago!

No comments: