Monday, November 23, 2009

Small Country

Singapore is super small. It's physically small, but it's also "it's a small world" small.

Saturday night we went with a bunch of friends to see Victor/Victoria which was playing at our big theater. My friend, Julie - a member of the Jewish community here, a fellow UMich alumna (same year as me), AND her husband also works at JPMorgan - was IN it. She had a few different parts, including a solo song! She was spectacular. I think it has been since high school since I knew someone IN the play. What a small country!

This Thursday we're headed to the Singapore Symphony Orchestra. By the way - "we" does not include Matt. He's not super interested. My friend, Rachel, whom I met through Lisa, who just left Singapore (boo!) is the principal oboe. (I think I might accidentally be sitting in the front row, but that's another story!) What a small country!

In other news, yesterday I learned the difference between spring roll wrapping and filo dough. I tried to make samosas, but I made wontons. I threw them out. Matt said it was a sign that we weren't supposed to eat fried (SUPER fried!) food.

In addition to that...I am starting work TOMORROW! I can't believe it. I am quite excited to see what this is going to be like. I'm about to be a manager in diversity and inclusion at Standard Chartered Bank. This is a bank that is quite big in Asia and Africa, but most people in the states don't seem to know it. I had met with the head of the group back in May, and it sounded so interesting, and I basically asked what I had to do to be her. She said they're not hiring. Luckily, after my disaster of a job, they WERE hiring, and they hired me! Yay! I am excited to be proud of where I work and what I do. The INSEAD peeps freaked out - MELANIE IS GOING TO BE A BANKER!? Whoa! I will NOT be a banker (not that there's anything wrong with that), so you don't have to worry. I will be there making sure that the bankers are diverse and that they (and everyone else in the bank) are supported properly, promoted, and have good work-life balance. This group makes sure that policies support working moms, people of different religions and cultures, women, etc. I am sure I will know a lot more soon, but in the meantime, I'm excited.

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Sounds like a great job -- right up your alley! Good luck!

sarah said...

Oh, today is your first day. Hooray! Good luck! Can't wait to hear all! Can't wait to see you!