Saturday, November 21, 2009

Trip to the Market

This morning, I'm taking you on a trip to our new market, Tekka Market, which is across the main street from our house. I can't control where photos go on this blog, so it's not so neat looking...sorry!

First we go out of our condo, and go to the right, and then to the left, then to the right, the left, and finally we cross the street to reach the market.

The first picture is the street (the first left) near our house - it's all filled with shophouses, which I secretly want to live in one day.

The second picture is of the building on the next corner - for some reason it has a Jewish star. There is a sign near it that says this was indeed the Jewish meets Indian area, but they said that the guy who built this building in 1924 was not Jewish. Quite weird.

The next photo is inside the market already (the outside is quite uninteresting).

First we see my vegetable guy. I bought things for about five different big dishes today, and it came to a whopping $10 US. I love his vegetables - and he has EVERYTHING including herbs and even spinach and lettuce (quite rare out here!).

The next photo is the coconut couple. You can get fresh dessicated coconut. First she uses some sort of axe and takes the outside off the coconut, and then they put it in that machine, and the guy puts it in bags. There is usually a huge wait for their coconut. They also sell coconut milk and other coconut products.

Next we see my tofu and sprouts guy. I didn't buy from him today, but I usually buy some of that yummy tofu sitting in front of him.

Next is the spice guys, but today there was a woman who made my green masala paste (that's what she's doing in this photo). They put together amazing mixtures from these huge tubs. The next photo is the other side of their stall - all of the spices that are packaged.

Next is the mutton guy across the way. I don't buy mutton, because we're vegetarian at home, but if I did, I would buy it from them. They're just nice. He posed for me. Right after the photo he chopped that piece in two.

The next photo shows why we call this a "wet market" there is water all over the place, and because there is so much raw meet and fish, they need to constantly wash the floors, so they're wet also. This is the seafood/fish guy. I am intimidated by fish, so I haven't bought it before, but I will one day. I asked if I could take a photo, and he said, "squid one dollar. Photo five dollars!" There are about five each of these mutton, seafood and also chicken stalls. It goes on for a while!

The next photo is my fruit people. Their fruit is soo yummy. Today I got three free apples for some reason. Thanks! I heard the guy complaining to a supplier on the phone that the fruit he delivered wasn't sweet enough. (Hopefully not the fruit I bought!)

Next is the making of my ABC juice - the purple yumminess I referenced a few weeks ago.

Finally, we walk back to our condo, and the next photo is the colonial building that was built by a not Jew in 1924.

You can also see Rex Cinemas, which is a south Indian movie theater that just reopened a month or so ago. Apparently it was a cinema from the 1920s, and it's going through crazy Indian revival.

Then we have two photos on the inside of our condo complex on the way home...The big kids pool, and then the structure is in the kids' pool, and the building is the gym. Tennis court to the left.

Happy cooking Melanie!

No comments: