Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dena and Juan left today, after three excellent days in Singapore. They saw the central business district, Little India, Chinatown, Clarke Quay, Orchard Road...They shleped, they ate (who knew there are so many vegetarian restaurants in Singapore!?), and I think they enjoyed. They (Dena) were surprised that it was so not Asian looking here. Apparently I focus in my blog on Asian looking and tasting things. I guess I do that on purpose. As Dena said, "it wouldn't be interesting to write about sky scrapers."

This was three visits with Dena and Juan in three months, after never meeting Juan before August, and not seeing Dena since early 2007...it has been quite a treat, and it's sad that we don't know when the next time will be. They were also my first friends to visit us in Singapore. Quite exciting to show people around. Sarah and Ben are next. Who's after that?

(photo from weekend in Phuket, Thailand)

Other than our fun, yummy visit, we have been pretty busy. I am waiting for my employment pass to be approved for my new job, and after it is, I will start working immediately, most likely. I'm looking forward to that. I think Matt is looking forward to that as well!

In news from earlier this week/weekend...I went to the weekend market in Bangkok on Saturday. I absolutely love that market. They have everything you would ever want, but prettier, and cheaper. You can get everything. Seriously. I was negotiating for lower prices for everything, and I had a funny experience. I was trying to buy these fake flower things (they don't look like fake flowers, though, they look more like styrofoam balls?), and they wanted me to pay $3, and I wanted to pay less. I was "talking" to a woman who spoke no English. Usually when you negotiate with people who don't speak English, you use a calculator. There was no calculator in sight, so my brain thought, "I have a calculator in my bag!" I started to take it out, but then I realized that my calculator was also an ipod touch. To try to negotiate to save $1 with an ipod touch is just obnoxious. I didn't. I paid $3.

(photo is from the cooking class on Friday)

Our other excitement in Bangkok was a HUGE flood. We went to go for lunch to a mall (Matt wanted to see a Thai mall - it was his first), and it had been pouring for an hour or so. The streets were so flooded that people were wading through it - up to their knees. The water covered the tires of people's cars - it was really nutty amounts of water. Singapore has such good drainage so when there are the same monsoons, they all drain. I guess I take that for granted.

When we arrived at the Singapore airport on the way back, we had a funny experience. They made an announcement that they were so sorry, but the luggage from our flight was delayed. I was thinking DTW delayed - like more than 45 minutes. I think it usually takes 30 minutes to get our luggage in Detroit. In Singapore, a delay meant that it took about 8 minutes. Poor us.

When we came back - after being away for two days, back for three, and away for three, Kitty was so happy to see us. She wouldn't leave me alone. She jumped up on the side of the couch and sat with me, and when I laid on the couch, she went to sleep on my tummy. She hasn't done that in about a year and a half. So sweet.

We also saw a weird play called Sofaman. Not recommended. Also saw Amelia. Also not recommended. Could have been much better. Exploring my Indian cooking further - made another curry tonight (won't make it again, I think), and bought a new mortar and pestle for my spices. Quite exciting. Quite heavy to carry home.

No comments: