Monday, May 11, 2009

Mothers Day Reflections

Four reflections for Mothers Day:

1 - It is so weird that so many of my friends are mothers - Facebook is covered with my friends all saying "happy mothers day" to each other. I think in previous years I didn't really know when Mothers Day was (we don't really do so much in our family - which isn't so nice, but it's how it's been). I guess that is what happens when you're "in your 30s."

2 - My friend Deeksha found a baby bird on the ground. People had pruned (sp?) the trees, and the bird fell out. She has nursed it for a week - feeding it - taking it to work with her, giving it a lot of love (and her husband does too). We met the bird on Saturday night. S/he still needs to be fed in his/her beak, but Deeksha was trying to help him/her learn to eat off the ground. Sunday I saw that she had taken it outside, and it had flown away into a tree. She thought this was good and maybe the end of the bird in their house. Then she came back from somewhere, and he flew right into her. She is the birdie's mommy.

3 - "Baby Boom as Mums Replace Lost Children" is one of the headlines in today's paper. It's talking about what's going on in China one year after the quake. I don't think that's how it works. Ask a mom who has lost a child...or even just anyone who has a child. You don't "replace" them.

4 - I got such a sad email this morning telling me that Becca's mom has died. She has been fighting breast cancer for 17 years. She fought it off so many times, but this time this was not the case. I got to meet her when she came to stay in Israel when I was studying at Pardes with Becca, and I loved her. She was so independent and strong, and when she was in Israel, she was one of the girls - not someone's old mom. I'm happy for her that she raised such amazing children and that she got to do such wonderful things in her life. I'm so sad for her that her life ended so early. I'm also so sad that I can't be with Becca at all right now.

No comments: