Sunday, May 24, 2009

Falling in Love Again

Our lease is up at the end of May. We got it extended until sometime in August when our landlord closes the deal with the people he sold our apartment to...then they said they won't be moving in until maybe September. So, we're not moving NOW, but we're moving sometime in the next few months.

There are a few things I like about our apartment (not too many...), but I absolutely love our location...other than the fact that it's about an hour to get to anywhere else in Singapore. We are a seven minute walk from the beach, we are a 15 minute walk to the MRT stop and to Bedok Centre, where there is my crazy grocery store and just about everything else you would want. We're a 10 to 15 minute walk from all of the amazing restaurants in Siglap - including our favorite Thai, Indian, Italian, and our favorite Japanese restaurant lost its standing when we went on Friday night and they super skimped on the fish.

The best part for me, you might remember, is the market.

I just went to the market and spent S$45, which is about US$30. This is what I got (in this order):
  • a green old navy t-shirt (obviously)
  • 8 apples
  • 3 carrots
  • a container of sweet peas
  • 1/5th of a huge pumpkin
  • 3 sweet potatoes
  • 2 huge cucumbers
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 6 onions (I asked for 2, and he charged me S$.5 and threw a ton in, so I gave some to the ladies around me)
  • 3 beets
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 pineapple
  • 6 bananasLink
  • 2 mangoes
  • 3 little organic (Singaporean!) cucumbers
  • 4 yellow peppers
  • 20 rolls of toilet paper
  • 8 rolls of paper towel
  • 10 eggs (two were sacrificed on the way home)
  • 1 ice coffee "not so sweet"
I love my market. Love my market.

In other news, yesterday I went with a bunch of INSEAD friends to the Tippling Club - it's a molecular gastronomy restaurant in Singapore. They have a special (reasonable) lunch menu, and it was amazing. I loved the food, and I got two superb drinks. Jer - look at the Floradora on this menu. You will love it. I sort of want to go for the whole menu (they have one with five courses for $125, or you can do the whole shabang for $420...), but Matt won't do it. He would rather eat fishball noodles for $2.

No comments: