Thursday, May 6, 2010

Working from Home

Since the plane home from Bali I have felt quite ill. I went to work on Monday, but Tuesday I was a disaster, Wednesday I left work in the afternoon, and today I worked from home.

I think I didn't go to work for a day at Moody's, because I pulled a muscle in my back and couldn't move, but I can't remember if that was a workday or weekend. But, other than that (which I can't even remember...) these are my first sick days in Singapore. Singapore has an interesting (some might even say immature, distrusting, and stupid) rule that if you don't go to work, you have to provide an "MC." That's a medical certificate. This means that if you don't go to work, you have to give your boss a note from the doctor that said you're too sick to go to work. Let me explain this. I have a cold - it's a bad cold, but it's a cold. I feel super stuffy in the head, weak, no energy, not sleeping, etc. I KNOW that I will feel better soon - I just need to relax. I also know that I will NOT take medications (they seem to think that everything is fine during pregnancy, but google and I are not always in agreement). On Tuesday, this meant that I got up, showered, got dressed, and walked 10 minutes to the doctor. While walking 10 minutes to the doctor in NYC or Michigan might not be a big deal, at 10 am in Singapore, it could kill you. It's DAMN hot. The doctor gave me my little note, and then I had to take a taxi home (seriously - it wiped me out to get there!). I literally felt worse after going to the doctor.

This morning, I woke up (at 4:30...) and felt terrible. I thought it would be better for my health, though, to work all day from home rather than trek to the doctor in the hot weather to get another stupid doctor's note (the first was only for two days, obviously). So I did. And I was quite productive, I might say (the Kitty was only mildly distracting - but she did come out of the bedroom every few hours with lots of meows saying "what are YOU doing home!?").

No comments: