Sunday, May 9, 2010

Practice

When I showed up at soccer practice, someone asked, "how's practice going?" Soccer practice? Looks fine. Oooh, you mean practice for being a mom?

This weekend we were meant to have some practice being parents. I hope this is not indicative of what is to come, because basically it was just me. No worries, because the three children are amazing, and I love them, but there wasn't much help from Matt.

Meeting for a taxi at 6:15 on Friday became him showing up at about ten, after dinner, wii, and the kids were already asleep. Matt took Jake to baseball on Saturday, and then worked straight until dinner - though he was literally on the phone throughout dinner - and then we got a good two hours (and two games of Catan with him) before he headed home. Today our picking the kids up from Hebrew school, taking them to lunch and then doing something fun with them in the afternoon turned into...well, I did all of that, and Matt worked. I did have a small anxiety attack that this is what it will be like with our kids, but I'm hoping not.

(Disclaimer for Matt - it's totally not his fault - there are just things that have to get done at work, but as the wife, I selfishly am just talking about it from my perspective. It stinks WAY more for him, since he had no weekend...).

Other than Matt not being around, though, the weekend was great. The kids were my friend Pam's kids whom I got to hang out with about two years ago as well. Though then there were only two, and now all three of them are two years older. They were super fun, and I love being with them. We got to play wii, Settlers, we watched a movie, made mother's day crafts, ate fun Japanese food (they know their way around Japanese food way better than I do), and generally hung out. As I wrote about two years ago, this is not exactly hard for me, since the helper makes all of the food and gets the kids ready to go wherever they're going. I just sort of played with them. It's a bit like a vacation, but there are someone else's kids there.

No comments: