Friday, October 16, 2009

Unexpectedly Unemployed

I have been briefly unemployed at a few points in my life, but I have always been lucky in that I knew what was coming next.

After college, I knew I was volunteering for a year.
After volunteering for a year, I knew I was going straight to grad school.
I got a job before I finished grad school, so I started two months after finishing.
I left that job and went to Pardes, and while I was at Pardes, I found my next job at JCS.
After JCS, when we moved to Singapore, I was unemployed for a couple of months. I had other things to do, though - I got certified to dive, I took the GMAT, and I explored Singapore. Though I hated being unemployed then, at least I had anticipated it. Between Moody's and INSEAD, I only had a weekend...and this summer, though I traveled for six weeks, I knew that I had a job, so I was not unemployed.

Now, I find myself unexpectedly unemployed, and I don't like it. I didn't save any doctors appointments or hair cuts. I have seen most of my friends recently, I just went to the States...I really have no other agenda items other than get a job, which, frankly, isn't that easy.

I have decided that I am going to stay away from non-profits in Singapore (unless there is something that is big, organized, and professional), and I am looking for something in sustainable business, CSR, corporate foundations, internal responsible policies, or some other corporate role that makes the world better in some way. These are mostly non-traditional jobs, and they're not what you come across on job sites, so I think my best bet is networking, networking, networking. I'm working on it...Any ideas? Send them my way!!

1 comment:

vantan said...

Sounds like we have loads to catch up on! Looking forward to seeing you next week.