Monday, October 12, 2009

Cannot-La!

Last night Matt and I went to Esplanade with our friend Karthik to see the Afro-Cuban Allstars. It was an amazing show. But...before the show, there was some Singaporean ridiculousness.

I try not to complain too much about Singapore, because honestly it's a great place to live - clean, efficient, has lots of things to offer us, and generally we're happy here. But then things like last night happen, and I just want to do something drastic.

Karthik and I obviously needed some ice cream before the show. We went to Movenpick. Karthik knew that they had good chocolate. I love good vanilla, but I had bad vanilla. I asked if I could taste their vanilla. Here's how it went:

"Can I please taste your vanilla?"
"We don't do tasting"
"Well, I really like good vanilla, but I really don't like bad vanilla. Is there any way I could try just a tiny bit? I will for sure either get that or chocolate."
"Sorry. We don't do tastings."
"Ok. Can I please have 80 grams of chocolate?"
"Sure." (gets a cup and puts it on a SCALE. Yes, a scale.
"Actually, is there any way you can put about 78 grams of chocolate, and just put a tiny bit of vanilla on top? I just want to try it so I know if I can get it next time."
"If you want two flavors, you can get two scoops."
"I just want a tiny taste of vanilla - can you just put a tiny bit on top?"
"No - I will have to ask my manager."
"Seriously? You have to ask your manager to put 78 grams of chocolate and 2 grams of vanilla? Wow."

Then, today, I went to the grocery store near our house. I do love this grocery store. I needed two hot chilies in addition to some other things. In this store, you get all of your vegetables, and you have to go to a weigh station, and they weigh them, put prices on them, and then you take it all to the register. I wanted two chilies. I put two chilies in a bag (which kills me, because it's a huge waste of a plastic bag, but then we can use it for kitty poo, but that's another story...). The guy said (in Chinese, but I got the gist), "you need more, because this is below the minimum weight."
"I only want two chilies"
"I cannot put a price tag on unless you put more chilies in this bag." (again - not English, but this is basically what he was saying)
"I will pay whatever amount you want (what will it be? 30 cents??) - but I do not want more than two chilies, because I don't want to waste them."
"I cannot give you this few chilies."
Ok - so I go over and get another chili pepper, and I put it in the plastic bag, and he weighs it, and he prints out the sticker, and then I take out the chili and I put it back.

Some flexibility people!!! It would drive this country MILES forward. Or kilometers.

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Suggestion: buy lots of chilies and freeze them in a Ziploc. Doesn't solve the inflexibility, but means you can experience it less.

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

oh. interesting idea. can you do that with vegetables?

Jeremy said...

Depends on the vegetable. Chilies freeze really nicely, though. And the small ones are super easy to slice when slightly frozen (just hold it tightly in your hand for a few seconds first).