Saturday, October 17, 2009

Istana

Matt and I live next to this huge area that is fenced in. There are lots of signs with people aiming guns at each other to tell you to stay away. It's huge - it starts on Orchard Road, and it follows all around almost until Bukit Timah Road. It's just totally curiosity provoking.

No building can have a window that faces this area. There are security guards constantly outside, even in the park near our condo - making sure NOTHING fishy is going on around here.

What's in this secret area is basically the President. There is a huge golf course, and there are a few big buildings - apparently lots of international diplomacy meetings and things like that happen in here. It's called Istana, which means "Palace" in Malay. The big building was built in the 1860s, and the whole thing was handed over to Singapore at independence and then renovated in the late 90s.

Just yesterday, I was exploring the features of my ipod touch, and I saw that Istana was visible on Google Satellite. I was shocked. I mentioned it to my friend at dinner last night, and how I'm slightly obsessed with the fact that it's so central, and it's SO secretive.

Well, after a serious ass kicking in tennis this morning, I got a text that Istana is open to the public today. Matt and I got out of the house as soon as possible, and we went to check it out. The grounds are HUGE. Matt and I just kept wondering how much money Singapore could get if they just built another five malls on that property. It's rolling greenness - with a few ponds, a cannon or two, and a few big buildings. It was really beautiful - and now the mystery isn't so mysterious.

No comments: