Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Two INSEAD Traditions

This past week (so far) has been filled with random things at school.

This included (but is not limited to):
The INSEAD Dash
National Week Bidding

Friday, as is tradition in Singapore, the students all dressed up in costume and ran from one of the apartments where lots of people live - to school. There were huge birds, Aladdins, many "women" (I am still trying to figure out what to make of the fact that about 20% of the men dressed up as women), prisoners, Scottish warriors, Peter Pans, hula dancers, Mexicans, and I was an ipod, of course. People were in outrageous costumes, and it must have been quite a scene to see all of these people running to school.

I don't know if I have ever written about this on my blog, but it's sort of hot in Singapore (right...), so it was actually a hard thing to do - especially for those who were in huge costumes with big heads (like the Chuck ECheese Mouse). I have pictures, and I will post.

Part of me thinks it's silly, since basically everyone just went to a costume shop and paid $50-$100 to rent a random costume, but when you put the whole picture together, it's hilarious. Sitting in class afterwards was also really funny.

The second tradition was last night - the National Week Bidding. At INSEAD, we have six weeks per half year (Sept-Dec/Jan-June) that are designated National Weeks. Countries, or groups of people from similar countries get together and plan a week of activities that show us about life in their country. Last week was Desi week, and they had Desi music playing, dinner one night, dancing classes one afternoon and it all came to an end at the Kamasutra party. They each do different things, but they're all really fun and have lots of energy.

Last night was the bidding for the first half of 2009. Groups of people got together and put together movies and bids for their countries and what they would do. Other than more exploitation of women's bodies (it's seriously widespread here), it was just hilarious.

I enjoyed seeing my classmates dressed up like nuts (Toreador, in togas, in Chinese dress, flags on their backs), and the movies were great. We'll have to wait to see who won, but I have to say that the Iberians and the Italians had a strong showing. The same thing was happening in Fontainebleau, so we'll have to see what happens in the final voting. There was an American week bid, but it was totally done by the folks in Fonty, and I didn't get involved at all.

In other news - the babies are starting to flow again.
Congratulations to Greg and Cristine who had a baby on Friday - named Sam. He looks super cute from the two photos I have seen. I regret that this has lost me a reader, though, as Cristine was fairly committed, and now she might have other priorities.

Christian and Lee Fong are having their baby on Monday...
Liba and Ethan are having their (SECOND!) baby a week from Tuesday...
CRAZINESS!!!

No comments: