Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What Kind of Jew are you?

I went to a friend's house for a nice dinner with a bunch of ladies last night. It was a long weekend - Buddha's birthday or something similar (Vesak Day). The dinner was super fun and super nice and really really yummy. I loved the company.

One funny thing happened. It came up that I speak Hebrew, and they asked if I was Jewish. I said yes, but then one woman thought I was joking. I tried to convince them that, yes, I really was Jewish. I'm 95% sure this was the first Jew she had met. Then I was asked what kind of Jew I was (from another person). I thought at first she meant Ashkenazi or Sephardi, but I thought that was a complicated question for someone who didn't know a lot of Jews. Finally I got her to give me some examples - she said "are you a Messianic Jew, like do you believe in Jesus?" I said, "we call those people Christians."

No comments: