Thursday, May 8, 2008

Back to my Homophobic Life

So first my friend sends me this link. Which basically says that a tv station was fined $15,000 for the serious offense of showing (therefore promoting) gay lifestyle during a time when kids might be watching - on Sunday morning. Apparently there was a show that had a gay couple and their kid. I had no idea that this was still possible. Sounds like something out of the 50s.

Then in Spanish class last night we had to fill in some blanks with random statements we were given, and one of the answers was that two people were going dancing on Friday. I wrote Juan and Nacho, because that fit. My teacher first explained that the book is traditional, so they would never have a gay reference. Then she explained - well, Melanie, they're going dancing! Two men wouldn't go dancing! (with a "yuck" face). I asked her if she had ever been to a gay club. I think it disturbed me a lot, because she's young and seems progressive.

BTW - this is all after my keen realization that there are way more gay people than one in ten. One day we were hanging out with some friends, and out of five of us, two of us had gay siblings, and one of us was gay. I know - small sample size, whatever - there are a lot of gay people in this world, and we had better start treating that as normal!

I must say that being back isn't all that "returning home" is cracked up to be. It's so hot here. I forgot how hot it is. Apparently May and June are the hottest months of the year. I have completely sweat through all of my clothes the two days I have been home. I sweat at night. I sweat in the morning. I'm so freaking sweaty.

Luckily, there is the kitty. She has been really excited to see us - especially at night when we're trying to sleep. This morning she was playing with everything possible - a string that hangs from our duvet cover (that definitely has no duvet in it - it's too hot!), a string from my shorts in the laundry, a red ball that she put in my new shoe and then played with, a rug, and just about everything else. She is extremely sweet.

Re: Jetlag - we got back at 2am on Monday night. We basically couldn't sleep that night, but we both made it through work the next day. We went to sleep at nine and slept 'till six. Then last night to bed at ten and slept until six again. I think we're on our way to recovery. I guess it doesn't get much harder than a 12 hour difference.

No comments: