Thursday, June 28, 2007

Why Singapore is Perfect for my mom

This is really an appendix to yesterday's entry.

Singapore is perfect for my mom. While I have thought of this since I got here, she sent me an email suspecting this fact after my "piss" post. This inspired me to share my thoughts with everyone else.

1) As I mentioned - there are bathrooms everywhere. In New York, you are scared to think of what the non-functional bathrooms used to look like in the subway. Here, in the MRT stations, there are bathrooms, and they're pristine! Not only are they everywhere, but they're clean. And they all have soap. And the soap doesn't even smell bad!! Nearly every flusher (as mentioned yesterday) is automatic, so you don't even have to touch anything. My mother always has to go to the bathroom, and now she doesn't have to plan ahead! Plus, she hates touching potentially dirty bathroom parts, and there's just about nothing to touch here.

2) There are Starbucks everywhere. I thought there were a lot in New York (and there ARE!), but they're ALL over the place here too! Upon first count, there appear to be 41. This is a small country, so honestly, that's a lot. My mother loves Starbucks. Her first reaction to our moving here was wondering if there were Starbucks. She loves the coffee (small in a medium cup with a bit of half and half) and she loves the lattes. Though I haven't tried it here, it does seem expensive, but it smells very good. There's a Starbucks in the lobby of Matt's building. There's even a competitive coffee place here - The Coffee Bean, which apparently is run by a Jew (that's all I know about it).

3) All of the electrical outlets have switches, and if you're not using the outlet, you switch it off. So, if you're using the fan, and then you leave, you turn off the fan, you turn off the switch where it's plugged into the multiple plug thingy on the floor, and then you switch off the outlet on the wall. It's a three step process, but it will definitely prevent the totally emergency toaster oven fire, which for some reason my mother has a crazy fear of, and we were always taught to unplug the toaster after use. Here, there's no need to unplug, simply switch it off!

4) It's extremely neat, clean and tidy here. Those are the three adjectives which I see on signs. Obviously there is a major effort to stop littering (which is super illegal), but offices, buses and nearly everything else is just spotless. There is no eating or drinking on the subway, and it's crazy clean. I would even pick something off the floor of the subway and touch it directly with my fingers (which in New York would produce gagging and possibly vomit). My mother always bothered me to put my stuff away, and here she would have no one to bug! It's all away! In addition, my mother hates to find spontaneously sticky objects. I have yet to find a sticky object in Singapore. Don't forget there is literally NO gum in the country, so you will never step in it, sit in it or accidentally touch it.

5) Singapore is smoke-free - for the most part. I almost never smell smoke. Last night Matt and I met at a bar after my scuba class, and there were people smoking there, and it was mildly alarming. Most restaurants either have smoking sections, which really are separated, not like in Michigan where they're right next to each other, or they don't allow smoking at all. Our complex doesn't allow smoking by the pool, and I saw a sign that it's not allowed by law - so there must be some restriction about smoking in public places. My mother certainly does not enjoy smelling cigarette smoke.

There will clearly be another entry with the few things about Singapore that might bother my mom, but for now - MOM, YOU'LL LOVE IT HERE!!!

Welcome to all of Matt's friends and family who received an email about this blog. Please keep in touch with us and let us know what's going on with you!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, you've nailed down most of my likes and dislikes quite eloquently. It sounds like Singapore (other than the heat and frizz-inducing humidity...) is my ideal. And there are even more solutions for my personal obsessive/compulsive issues!! Nice, safe places to run/walk, no need to drive anywhere, great fruits and vegetables a la Machane Yehuda, vegetarian restaurants?. I'm sure I'll think of more. :)

Robin said...

No GUM?!?! With my hatred for mouth noises, Singapore might be the place for me, too. Not to mention, that while less sever than your mom's, I also have a strong dislike for public restrooms and avoid them at all costs. Singapore sounds great! Sign me up!

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

Two things:

1) I found out that it's illegal to leave a public toilet unflushed.

2)Robin - I have thought about you A LOT, because people DO make those weird sucking noises with their mouths - ALL DAY! It's mostly older men, but I hear it from all cab drivers and from at least one person on each MRT ride. Davka You would walk around with your ipod all day!!!