Thursday, June 21, 2007

Resumes, Meetings and Jobs OH MY! and Dengue

This morning I met with someone who is part of our relocation package to Singapore. He let me know that resumes here are three to four pages, including what people did in high school. They include your birthday, marital status, a picture and much else. I worked for days to reduce my resume to one page to apply for jobs from America, and meanwhile, I just spent the last three hours including experiences such as Otzma, other volunteer programs, my internships in graduate school, and other random information about myself. He said that it is definitely not a help for me that most (really all, but I'm giving myself some credit) of my experience is in the Jewish community. He was helping me take the word "Jewish" out of my resume - though it was hard when the names of organizations that I worked for include that word (Jewish Coalition for Service, Agency for Jewish Education, Jewish Academy of Metro Detroit...). Oy. He was toying with the idea of me taking that word out anyways...hmmm...

He also said that less than 10% of people here have a college degree, so he said that most people won't know what to do with the fact that I have a Masters, and they will probably just be intimidated and think that I'll expect lots of money and will just ignore me as a candidate...hmmm...

Other than my crazy fear or not getting a job, my latest fear is Dengue Fever. Apparently it is an epidemic in Singapore with hundreds of cases being reported each week. It is passed by crazy scary looking mosquitoes, and apparently they breed and bite during this time of the year (each year). Last night, I seemed to find many bugs in our room, and I do fear that one of them will have the Dengue. I am pretty sure they don't, and you far away in America or Israel or wherever don't know that my fear isn't super rational, but still.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe mosquito netting on your bed? It could be romantic and beneficial! :)

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

and even HOTTER!? no way!