Friday, June 15, 2007

Caps for Sale! Caps for Sale! Fifty Cents a Cap...

Turns out that there are no caps for sale here. Though it's about a million degrees here (I was trying to figure out how to put weather on this blog...but today it is cool, and it "feels like 97" according to weather.com), and there is so much sun, and we're pretty much on the equator, NO one wears hats! Sunday I was looking for a new hat, since my Michigan one started falling apart :( and I literally couldn't find one in any store. I asked my tour lady on Tuesday about this, and she said that they all just have umbrellas - I'll call them sumbrellas. They're great, since they cover your shoulders AND head in the crazy sun, and they also protect you in the rain (which happens about every other day). When in Singapore, do as the Singaporeans...

Yesterday I went to the wet market by our house - it was amazing, and there were all of these nice Aunties there helping me decide what to buy to put in my stir fry. I think that all of the vegetables and the tofu together didn't come to $5, which is about $3.50 American.

I then went to meet Matt for lunch. We ate some great Indonesian food from the hawker stands by his work. Here's a picture of Matt in front of his building, and then there's a picture looking up his building (it's 52 stories!!).

Though it was really hot, I made a stupid decision and ended up walking 4 miles (see google pedometer which apparently works in Singapore!!) through Chinatown, Clark Quay, which seems to be an upscale eaty/shoppy area, through Fort Canning Park, and up to Orchard Road - the shopping area. It was hot, but luckily I had my sumbrella.

Today, after the Cavs lost and I talked to Jill, Jo and Mike (not related events), I took the free shuttle from our MRT (subway) stop to IKEA. Pretty exciting. Now we have dishes...if Matt likes them. :)

On view today: Clark Quay (the place with the fountain), Orchard Road (with all the people), a bunch of dragons and Chinese Lanterns in Chinatown, a SUPER speed hand dryer in a bathroom (yes - I took a picture in a bathroom).

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

i hope you bring your nalgene along with your sumbrella. that weather could easily dehydrate!

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

they also don't seem to drink here! not water at least - maybe teas and soya milk...i think if i carried a nalgene i would look too american (not that i'm not asian or indian, but still!)