Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sleep Training Day 3

As I'm still astonished how this is working...here's another post about sleep training.

Last night he slept until 11:30, and then I fed him until midnight and he went back to sleep being rocked for about five minutes. He then slept until 4, and at 4:30 I had rocked him for ten minutes and he was still wide awake. I put him down and left the room. The monitor wasn't on. I went back to sleep. AND SO DID HE (apparently!)!! He didn't wake up until 8:15.

This morning was a bit hectic, as I was picking up something in another part of Singapore, so he slept in the ergo for about forty five minutes. Right when we got back home after picking up Sam from school, I put him in the quiet room, bounced him for ten minutes, he was nearly sleeping and I put him down. He cried for 25 awful minutes and then he slept for more than an hour and a half. In the middle he woke up for about two minutes, whined a bit and went back to sleep. I still just can't believe it.

Tonight I did our bedtime routine and he didn't fall asleep nursing as he usually does. After ten minutes of nursing and a few minutes of rocking, he was wide awake. I put him in his bed and left. I listened on the monitor and he talked to himself and whined for about five minutes and then was SLEEPING. I just can't believe it.

Now we can do dishes in the evening and make normal noises - because if he wakes up it doesn't mean that we have to spend another two hours trying to get him to go back to sleep. Now it's his responsibility to get himself back to sleep and he CAN DO IT. I totally have faith now.

Is it wrong to say that I feel more love for him now?

I'm just so relieved and so happy for him and for all of us.

25 minutes of crying today (though today's not over...but I have faith!!). And he's sleeping SO MUCH more than he was before. When he's awake he is such a happy baby.

When will I get over this? I don't know. But in the meantime I'm so so happy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mel- I saw your sleep training post on Facebook and then clicked over to your blog and I just wanted to tell you that you are awesome and you are not alone! OMG- I could have written this when Kayla was a baby (and I probably did since I was obsessed with the sleep boards on Babycenter) I also had a spreadsheet!! And was obsessed with Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child! I used to spend hours and hours rocking her to sleep only to have her pop her eyes open the second I put her down. I literally decided to sleep train on the day that I realized both of my wrists were killing me and I could barely hold her normally. I remember feeling so angry all the time and so resentful that she just would not sleep. like ever. Sleep training is seriously the best thing I have ever done for all of my kids. I have friends who have older kids that still don't regularly sleep through the night and I just can't imagine living like that. Anyway, just wanted to show my support! And don't feel like the only crazy sleep obsessed freak in the world. There are other out there just like you! Hope everything else is good with you guys :)

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

I so hear you, Jenny. Thanks for commenting and also validating. :) Hugs...