Friday, January 24, 2014

Anniversary of the Great Failed Escape

Last year, tonight, I had had an incredibly busy day - carried my suitcase and my heavy bag with my computer down a flight of stairs, into a car, out of a car, onto a bus, off a bus, around Boston, into a car,  out of a car, into a friend's house, into the car, onto the train, up on the top rack of the train, off the train, up a flight of stairs on the New York subway, and then I walked 40 blocks. I met a good friend from college for dinner. I sat down and relaxed, looking at the menu. Laura arrived and we started to chat. Then I felt like I was bleeding. And I was. A lot. And I was 12 weeks pregnant. I was sure for a few weeks...then months...that I was losing my little fetus. That started the saga that became my ridiculous pregnancy - with a great result at the end. It was also the last day I formally worked until now.

A year is always a big anniversary - a year after a death is big, a year finishing school...anytime you can look back and say "one year ago today was completely different for X reason" is a milestone. One year ago from last week was normal. One year ago from next week was awful. And for the next six months it will be like that. Where was I one year ago at any given moment? IN MY BED, trying not to think about anything and trying not to move. I totally zoned out for the next six...maybe eight months, and since then has FLOWN by (though as I mentioned a few posts ago - not always for good reasons). I'm not sure how I feel about it - but it's significant. One year.

As for a sleep training update, we are doing great at night and he is still a stinky sleeper during the day. Perhaps that's just how he's wired. He is crying 10-25 minutes before each nap, and they range from 25 minutes to an hour and a half. Still better than before, but I feel bad when he cries for 25 minutes and then only sleeps 25 minutes...but on the whole it's better. I am putting him down awake each time he goes to sleep, including in the middle of the night, and in the evening and at night he doesn't cry and during the day he does.

And I'm still a way happier person.

And Bubbie and Zaydie arrived for a visit from Michigan, so Samara is in heaven.

And it's Zaydie's birthday. Happy birthday, Zaydie!!

No comments: