Friday, April 16, 2010

MRT Dilemmas

I have a new dilemma on the MRT. I take one train one stop and one train two stops. That's it. It's about 2 minutes on the first one and 4 minutes on the second one. It is not a rocky ride. It is extremely short. It is not exhausting. I feel great - not nauseous, tired, sick, weak. Nothing. I feel super healthy. But...apparently now I look pregnant...and that makes people stand up for me on the train (which is SUPER surprising, since I don't think I ever saw that in NYC!), and I really don't want to sit down. This has happened four times this week, and each time I have said, "no thank you. I am just riding the train one (two?) stop. Please sit." They won't sit, and then it's awkward that we're both standing, and the seat is open. But, if I sat I would have to get up right away. Sometimes you should just do something to make someone feel good - like they're doing a good deed, right? But sitting on the MRT...it's sort of against what I stand for (ha - stand).

I have indeed come out of the closet about being pregnant in this blog posting. As you might notice, my postings have become sparse. When you have something that you think about all the time, but you don't really want to write about it publicly, so then you have to think about other things to blog about, it's difficult. So I have been silent. But I have decided that everything seems to be going really well and healthy, and I might as well, since I have lots of super interesting thoughts about being pregnant (in Singapore, working, for the first time, etc.) that might be interesting to share.

This blog started as my ex-pat experience in Asia. It moved to my MBA experience in INSEAD, then back to ex-pat in Asia. Now it will be pregnant working ex-pat in Singapore, and then finally it will be (hopefully) working ex-pat mother, which I have lots of thoughts about, since I don't really know many (at least who are parents of young kids/babies - actually I know none who are ex-pats). Should be an interesting ride...I'm excited about it (most of it, at least).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Something else we have in common - you do not know many women who are in your particular situation, just as I didn't almost 26 years ago. I would enjoy comparing your experience with mine. Tom and I brought two young children with us when/while we taught school in Indonesia (one of whom is your husband) and I was pregnant with Dan while we lived there, returning home in my 9th month to have him here in the states. It will be fun to hear about your experiences.