Friday, March 27, 2009

Beets

I have finally had to start doing some work at school this week, which is good. I was getting worried.

This week included meeting up with two great people from my past life as well as three beets. I'll get to the people first.

I got to see Sarah who was an active student at GW when I worked at Hillel. She is simply superb, and she's putting all of her political activism into a law degree, and I know she's going to do great things. She took me to a place called Monk's which has a really neat atmosphere and Bell's beer! She also told me for a new loan forgiveness initiative where they forgive your law school debt if you work for public interest places for ten years. I don't really trust initiatives right now, since the whole world and all of the rules within it seem to be changing, but if that works, that's awesome.

I also got to see Julie, who is one of my parents' friends' daughter. We definitely saw each other from time to time in our childhood, but I don't think we have seen each other in years. It was excellent to sit down and talk. So interesting when you grow older and more able to connect with certain people- for no particular reason. She took me to Good Dog, where there were cute pictures of dogs on the wall, and great beer.

Finally - the beets. I crave roasted root vegetables all the time. It might be because we don't have an oven, but whenevLinker I go to the grocery store and need to find something for dinner, all I want is roasted squash, sweet potatoes or beets. Two weeks ago there were no beets, so I was sad and had roasted orange vegetables. Last week, the beets appeared, and I immediately went home and roasted them.

First, I forgot about the mess of the beet. There is purple all over the kitchen. My hands were purple. I just felt purple. I even got a purple splatter on my white macbook keyboard. What a mess.

Then, I forgot about the aftermath of the beets. I would think it would be gone by now, because I had the beets on Tuesday, and it's Friday, but my excrement (in all forms) is still red. It sort of freaks me out.

2 comments:

Rubes said...

I can relate. Growing up, I never knew about the aftermath of beets because I hardly ate them. Last year, though, I thought about giving beets a second try and had two in a day and half. Bad idea...

Apparently, the Obamas were one step ahead of us in not planting beets in their White House garden last week.

Matt and Melanie Hildebrandt said...

Holy funny! I had no idea! He should give beets a chance. They're like natural Candy. I love them, and I have finally returned to normal. :)