Wednesday, November 21, 2007

If You Were Gay...That'd Be Okay

So I'm a pretty political person. I say political things, think political thoughts, and I even act political. I have to be careful with that in Singapore, so I have really tried to steer away from it particularly on this blog. Unfortunately, for this posting, I cannot.

When we signed up for the Singapore Straits Times, which is the daily newspaper here, we got to choose another magazine to get for free. I chose Women's Weekly, thinking that I will be working at a women's organization, and it would be great to know about the issues facing women from a different perspective. I didn't know anything about it. (I judged the magazine by its cover).

I received my first issue this week. It's essentially hundreds of pages of ads of things to make yourself more beautiful. If you know me, you know this is not exactly (or remotely) my thing.

I think I will take a few hours and add up the cost of all of the products they're trying to sell in just one issue (not including supplements).

There was an article about what you should do if you find out your daughter is gay (this is one of VERY FEW articles in 280 pages). There is a little blue box in the corner of one of the pages, and I must relay what it says:

"Professionals are not sure if genes, upbringing, society or a complex mix of all these elements make a person more likely to become gay. So far, research on all sides remains inconclusive. But in several international studies, there are clues that a person's genes may at least partly influence his sexual orientation, says Dr Spencer Lee, President of The Association of Christian Counsellors of Singapore, registered member of Singapore Association for Counselling, Family Life Ambassador of MYCS.

"If your child announces he or she is gay and you are at ease with this, then naturally debate does not arise. But assuming you are not happy...then what? Dr Lee suggests you start by talking through your options, without condemning. He adds, "Highlight that he or she has the power to choose. It is okay if he or she feels attracted to the same gender, but he or she does not necessarily have to go into a relationship."

"Some professionals also suggest contacting both anti- and pro-gay groups for differeing views to help you make up your own mind, in your own time."

I don't even know where to start, but I have to be a bit mild, otherwise I might get kicked out of this country (no joke that happens).

"make a person more likely to become gay" ?????
"a person's genes may at least partly..." ??????
"assuming you are not happy..." ?????
"he or she has the power to choose..." ?????

I mean come on!!! This is dated December 2007. It is shocking to me that this is published nowadays. I can't remember if I wrote about what was happening with gay legislature here (probably not), but briefly, about a month ago, there was a discussion in Parliament about repealing a law that makes it illegal to have anal sex. This was exciting for this country on a few levels -

It was organized on a grassroots level.
The general public (or at least the young ones who might be a LITTLE bit politically interested) spoke openly about a political issue.
People were pretty captivated by the debate.

Basically, they did not repeal it, though the Member of Parliament who spoke about it gave a GREAT speech. Check out his blog - he's great. Then the Prime Minister actually explained why it's not passing, and his speech was good too. Matt feels differently.

Anyways, I think the general society here isn't at the same place as me in terms of equality for people as well as sexual orientation issues. I know this mentally, but when I read something like I read in that magazine last night, it enrages me.

That's all I'll say.

AND...it's the fourth anniversary of my brother coming out to my parents. Happy anniversary!!!

And, Happy Birthday Ellen!

No comments: