Sunday, November 25, 2007

Feet

In addition to bagels, Matt and I went shopping for lots of other things yesterday. I am starting a new job next Monday, and the dress is "business - business formal." You might know that I really appreciate informal-ism, and I do NOT have very much clothes that fit this profile. We weren't only disappointed by the poppy seeds...

I need shoes. I went in about seven or eight shoe stores, and the largest size that any of them had was a 40, but they really didn't even have any of the shoes that I liked in that size (and I actually wear a 41). I am not the biggest person, and normally I don't think of my feet as abnormally big, but I guess most Asians don't have feet this big! I thought about this before I left, and I did get keens (which everyone should own, and I will start a fund so everyone can afford them - they're AMAZING) and one pair of nice shoes that aren't nice enough for my office. The only store that HAD my size was Aerosoles. They're also the only store that charged an arm and a leg for their shoes, but I guess I'll live.

Luckily I haven't had to look for bras yet. What's going to happen then! Asians and Jews have very different size chests!!!

Friday night we went to hang out with our friend, Maria. She's sort of from Russia, kind of from New Zealand, and her parents live in the UK (and she lives in Singapore). She went rollerblading and fell, and her wrist guard broke her arm. She had to have surgery last week, and they put in a bunch of plates and screws. Totally nuts. Luckily she likes Settlers of Catan, so we got to hang out with her AND play Settlers. Good night. :)

Speaking of Settlers of Catan, we had a new person start at AWARE a few weeks ago, and she's excellent. She's the wife of a US Military man who is stationed in Singapore, and she has told me lots of interesting things about Military life. Sad to say that this is the first person I have had contact with (though I haven't met him yet...) who is in the US Military. Is it weird that I know at least 100 people who were in Israel's army? Hmmm... Anyways, turns out that this amazing woman and her husband also play Settlers. I couldn't be more excited.

Last night Matt and I went to a Thanksgiving dinner. It was held by one of Matt's colleagues. She's Philippina, and we were the only Americans there! I think that some of them might have spent time in the States, but it was pretty funny. It was all Philippinos and two Chinese Singaporeans (and us). They even had turkey - and sushi and spaghetti!! It was really nice.

This is our first weekend home in three weeks (Cambodia, Vietnam), so we're appreciating it.

No comments: